"Rattlesnake Haven" Apache by mrclay2000

Apache Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 12 photos

A Must for the Adventurer

Apache is a tiny town situated midway between the better-known and larger towns of Anadarko and Lawton. Each April, Apache features an open-air flea market and rattlesnake roundup to attract outsiders to this little hamlet. Without such lures, this little village would eventually lose its already-struggling toe-hold on the state map, a sad destiny for a town that has been around since 1901.

• Pros:Easy and fast to explore; downhome townsfolk
  • Cons:Few capital buildings and attractions
  • In a nutshell:A great place for rattlesnake roundups and country cooking
  • Last visit to Apache: Apr 2004
  • Intro Written Apr 19, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 4:16 PM

What a wonderful town and its heritage preserved still. Good job. My last trip to Utah/Arizona parks was an adventurer that you enjoy seeing. Remote areas by Natural Bridges and MOab were a couple of special areas.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 4:51 AM

Snake is definately off my menu!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2005 at 8:00 PM

Hmmm, I don't think I care much for the snakes since we have plenty of diamond backs around here. Yet, I enjoyed the Apache's Bank and Chamber of Commerce buildings. Thanks for sharing such interesting information.

• Dec 19, 2004 at 7:46 AM

Hahaha... so you were suckered into tryings some rattlesnake, I see... happened to me.. once. Apache is a one phone booth Hell hole. I have an in-law that lives there. Merry Xmas, MIke.

• KaiM's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2004 at 1:21 PM

Rattlesnake Roundup, wow. A real interesting page with good tourist trap tips!

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 7:40 AM

I never knew such an event existed! Not sure I want to go, but good to know. Great pictures.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 12:38 AM

Towards more picturesque speech. The 'eating the snake' picture will stay a long time and yes I'll go for the pit thank you there would be nothing worse than another unforgettable kiss. Great page Thank you.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2004 at 8:37 PM

Interesting info on the rattler but it almost seems like an inhumane annual event. So it's hunt and fry. I'd probably sample the rattler too.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 7:27 AM

The best snake page on VT. It looks like a worthwhile excursion for roundup days but I'll pass on the deep fried rattler.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2004 at 11:37 PM

Another of your classic Americana Pages!! Have you gone on one of these Rattlesnake Hunts?? I have to wear a diaper!!! hahahha

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Apache