"One of the Great American Military Forts" Fort Ticonderoga by mrclay2000
Fort Ticonderoga Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 25 photos
Formerly Fort Carillon of the French during the Seven Years War, this disputed piece of real estate on Lake Champlain passed between English and American hands as it guarded vital military and commercial traffic on the lake. Like any other star fort, its armaments faced in all directions, fronting an attack by either land or water. Today the various ramparts are still loaded with cannon, the museum with a huge collection of muskets, and the back rampart is stocked with a wonderful collection of mortars. For those who love military history and preserved forts (America's castles), Fort Ticonderoga is as worthy of your notice as Forts Sumter, Pulaski and McHenry.
- Pros:Beautifully preserved, beautiful position over Lake Champlain
- Cons:This is a private state park only with constantly rising admission fees
- In a nutshell:One of Our Best Preserved Military Forts
About an hour south of the fort you can visit the battlefield that helped turn the course of the War of Independence to... more travel advice
Inside you'll find the interior and settings much like the outside -- genuine and historic, the same as they were when... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Fort Ticonderoga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the Great American Military Forts"
- "America's Most Historic Fort"
- "Fort Ticonderoga - Fort Carillon"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Ticonderoga
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Fort Ticonderoga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Ticonderoga
Photos in Fort TiconderogaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos