"One of the Great American Military Forts" Fort Ticonderoga by mrclay2000

Fort Ticonderoga Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 25 photos

Star Fort and its Beautiful Setting

Formerly Fort Carillon of the French during the Seven Years War, this disputed piece of real estate on Lake Champlain passed between English and American hands as it guarded vital military and commercial traffic on the lake. Like any other star fort, its armaments faced in all directions, fronting an attack by either land or water. Today the various ramparts are still loaded with cannon, the museum with a huge collection of muskets, and the back rampart is stocked with a wonderful collection of mortars. For those who love military history and preserved forts (America's castles), Fort Ticonderoga is as worthy of your notice as Forts Sumter, Pulaski and McHenry.

• Pros:Beautifully preserved, beautiful position over Lake Champlain
  • Cons:This is a private state park only with constantly rising admission fees
  • In a nutshell:One of Our Best Preserved Military Forts
  • Last visit to Fort Ticonderoga: Aug 1995
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2003

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2004 at 8:35 AM

Just re-reading Barbara Tuchman's 'First Salute', so it is apropos to visit your fine site here regarding Ft Ti.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2003 at 2:20 PM

I have only visited Lake Champlain on the Vermont side. I wish I could have crossed to see this place!

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2003 at 8:03 PM

You obviously love your history, Mike! I worked in upstate NY for 3 months but never heard about this place. It was on the other side of the State though ... and it's a big State!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2003 at 3:32 PM

Great page and I was in NYC last week.

• dave_21's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2003 at 1:36 PM

Interesting place and page!! Nice pics. Where can I buy the beautiful Cockaded Hats?? =)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2003 at 1:05 PM

Whew, $12 is a steep price. Glad you paid it and I can see the pictures.

• Knoto's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2003 at 12:28 PM

Great Page!Sounds really interesting!

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2003 at 9:40 AM

I was here several times as a child. Thanks for the memories! This is a beautiful part of the world.

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Fort Ticonderoga

Have you been to Fort Ticonderoga?