"Capital of the Empire State" Top 5 Page for this destination Albany by mrclay2000
Albany Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 140 photos
Though New York State is presently our third most populous state, its modest capital city (some few hours north of America's largest at New York City) contains barely over 100,000, and thus is almost squeezed off the list of America's 100 most populous cities. Apart from this, Albany has a lot of history since its founding in the mid-17th century, making it one of the nation's oldest. History records that the Dutch sailed up the Hudson after buying Manhattan, and by 1800 many of Albany's residents still spoke Dutch as their first language.
In recent years, Albany had begun to decay, its inner city falling into disrepair, making the entire town almost a poor shroud for its majestic historical buildings. In the last quarter century, a new complex of state buildings and the central city mall (Empire State Plaza) help to make Albany almost futuristic, the "model" for urban planning (except for the notable absence of greenery and living things along the plaza). Even so, first-timers to Albany will have much to marvel over.
- Pros:Historical buildings, great range of architecture, centuries of history
- In a nutshell:A prototype community of 100,000
As with many places in the East, Albany marks its large share of historical associations with conspicuous placards. Near... more travel advice
Albany's Cultural Education Center opposes the state capitol building on the Empire State Plaza, but at such a distance... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Albany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of New York"
- "HEY MOM, I MADE IT TO THE CAPITAL"
- "Tour from an Albany Native"
- "Capital of the Empire State"
- "Home away from Home"
- "Albany, NY the New York Capital"
- "Albany -- a blast from the past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albany
- Hotels in Albany
- Transportation in Albany
- Nightlife in Albany
- Restaurants in Albany
- Shopping in Albany
- Warnings and Dangers in Albany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albany
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Albany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albany
Photos in AlbanySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos