"Famous for one thing only -- stolen tombstones" Fort Sumner by mrclay2000
Fort Sumner Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 22 photos
This dry, dusty, almost forgotten corner of New Mexico is far out of your way relative to the major roads. The federal highways that bring you here conduct you through some of the crappiest scenery in one of my least favorite states in the Union. By the time you reach Fort Sumner, the last few miles are unbearingly slow going even at 100 mph.
Toward the end of the road though, you get to leave your car at a fairly worthless emporium selling knick-nacks and other souvenirs featuring Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Old timers often sit out on the front porch and weave tales that they heard over the last game of cards to whomever will listen.
In the back yard however (and free of charge) is a small graveyard with graves spread throughout the enclosure (accessible through its corners without paying any admission). In the cage is the star of the show -- Billy the Kid, who by 22 years of age had shot almost as many men. His tombstone has been stolen many times according to a sign beside his grave. To protect against the next purloiner, not only are the three graves protected by a collective cage of steel, but the gray granite tombstone etched with Billy the Kid itself is housed in a similar steel apparatus within the larger cage. Take a few portraits here (as I did, in the pose of a gunslinger), use the portable johns behind the museum (which reek in the hot months) and get the hell out of New Mexico, unless you intend to ski.
- Pros:No other way to visit the last resting place of Billy the Kid
- Cons:Hell and gone from the world, surrounded by desert
- In a nutshell:A Legendary Figure of the Old West - Eternally
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Fort Sumner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Of Cowboys and Indians ..."
- "Famous for one thing only -- stolen tombstones"
- "Resting Place of Billy the Kid"
- "Fort Sumner"
- "Billy Was Here"
- "Basaic Fort Sumner Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Sumner
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Fort Sumner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Sumner
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos