"The Battle for Missouri during the Civil War" Wilson's Creek National Battlefield by mrclay2000

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield

Assuming "Wilson's Creek" isn't some other out of the way spit-in-the-road in Missouri, I'm building my battlefield page here (also assuming that this designation is a throwback to the old VT when national park units were not listed exactly in their titles).

Wilson's Creek represents an early conflict in the Civil War where federal forces lately leaving St Louis (after secreting their armaments into pro-Union Illinois) were suddenly assaulted by an overwhelming force of Confederates in southwest Missouri. Situated on the Mississippi River and thus a key region strategically, the Union felt it essential to keep the Rebels out of Missouri. The engagement essentially accomplished its object, but at the loss of the Union general Nathaniel Lyons.

• Pros:Beautiful park with an easy to follow tour-road
  • Cons:Few structures remain; flies and mosquitoes; clinging burrs
  • In a nutshell:Essential battlefield site for Civil War buffs
  • Last visit to Wilson's Creek National Battlefield: Jul 1996
  • Intro Written May 10, 2003

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 7:20 PM

We went in the winter so it wasn't exactly like the day of the battle, but there were no mosquitoes and it was cool.

• Jun 1, 2003 at 11:14 AM

I wonder why we dont have battlefields sites in Spain. We also had a civil war... maybe we dont dwelve on remembering, instead we look ahead. Just a possibility.. just a maybe.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2003 at 7:33 PM

No play-acting shots at Wilson's Creek?

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2003 at 12:39 PM

I didn't realize that the south didn't have any cannon foundries! Great page!

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Wilson's Creek National Battlefield

Have you been to Wilson's Creek National Battlefield?