"One of the Oddest Histories in the Midwest" Top 5 Page for this destination Springfield by mrclay2000
Springfield Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 164 photos
Springfield currently ranks as Missouri's third city behind St Louis and Kansas City. Incorporated in 1838, it did not reach any real prominence until it became part of the Butterfield Overland stage route in 1858, and furthermore as a station on the Atlantic-Pacific Railway in 1870. Even with its dramatic growth, with a population today below 200,000, this "city" still retains at its root an entirely small-town feel. The merest drive through town encounters virtually no high-rise and almost no structure higher than 150 feet. What you will encounter are almost 200 churches (no greater proof of Missouri's inclusion in America's Bible Belt), five colleges and universities (many tied to religious organizations) and over forty parks. Spread out over a considerable area, and enjoying several historic sites and districts, there are few better examples of "small-town America" than what is common in this relatively big city.
- Pros:Stuffed full of history, and not a little legend
- Cons:Stuffed with all the eyesores attendant on college campuses
- In a nutshell:Bible Belt community dotted with churches and cultural outlets
Just miles south of Springfield in nearby Republic, Missouri, you can take the 4.9-mile auto tour of the Wilson's Creek... more travel advice
Perhaps the most enjoyable animal to watch in the zoo are the two river otters. These fierce warriors have a compound... more travel advice
- See All St Agnes Cathedral and Parish
- See All Little Town, Big Theater
- See All Alternative Old Missouri
- See All Bible Belt III
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Springfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the Oddest Histories in the Midwest"
- "A new growth area besides Branson"
- "It's my home town..."
- "Just Overnighting in Springfield"
- "So this is where I live"
- "Springfield, Missouri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Springfield
- Hotels in Springfield
- Transportation in Springfield
- Nightlife in Springfield
- Restaurants in Springfield
- Shopping in Springfield
- Warnings and Dangers in Springfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Springfield
- 43 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Springfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Springfield
- updated a Springfield Travel Page "One of the Oddest Histories in the Midwest"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Commented on one of Starlas's Springfield travel pages
- Wrote a Review Civil War Missouri in Springfield Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Civil War Missouri"
Photos in SpringfieldSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos