"One of the Oddest Histories in the Midwest" Top 5 Page for this destination Springfield by mrclay2000

Springfield Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 158 photos

What Came to Pass Here?

Springfield currently ranks as Missouri's third city behind St Louis and Kansas City. Incorporated in 1838, it did not reach any real prominence until it became part of the Butterfield Overland stage route in 1858, and furthermore as a station on the Atlantic-Pacific Railway in 1870. Even with its dramatic growth, with a population today below 200,000, this "city" still retains at its root an entirely small-town feel. The merest drive through town encounters virtually no high-rise and almost no structure higher than 150 feet. What you will encounter are almost 200 churches (no greater proof of Missouri's inclusion in America's Bible Belt), five colleges and universities (many tied to religious organizations) and over forty parks. Spread out over a considerable area, and enjoying several historic sites and districts, there are few better examples of "small-town America" than what is common in this relatively big city.

• Pros:Stuffed full of history, and not a little legend
  • Cons:Stuffed with all the eyesores attendant on college campuses
  • In a nutshell:Bible Belt community dotted with churches and cultural outlets
  • Last visit to Springfield: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2003

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2005 at 6:32 AM

Wonderful page on the city of Springfield. Nice pics and good tips. A friend (a fellow VTer) will be attending school there next year.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 1:47 PM

Enough already with the Bass Pro Shop tips . . . ;-) I imagine that's a dream store for an outdoorsy guy like you. Maybe I should spend some time there to toughen me up! Great page!

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2003 at 8:20 PM

Another in depth look at an American city. All the history revealed. Okay, maybe not all, but a lot more than I knew 5 minutes ago. Poor lonely lion... :-(

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2003 at 8:54 PM

If I visited here I'd have a trilogy of Springfields. Don't know if I'd want to though, an ex-girlfriend went to one of those Bible schools. Close enough for me.

• jenn_d's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2003 at 7:36 PM

Hot Damn! Every town needs a Bass Pro Shop..I see them going global..in the same way Starbucks has...except without the coffee. ;-) Your pics personify the American city.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2003 at 10:07 AM

I could still see the smoke from the guns of the Gunfight!! Great story! Holy Mackeral! 200 Churches! I'd be sure to visit the Bass Pro Shop if I'm in the area..sounds like sportsman paradise! I love the brick buildings in these towns! Great Page Mike!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2003 at 6:59 AM

herad of this city only in my mum's favourite soap opera till now, thanks to show me there is much more tha marriages and divorces LOL

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 6:50 PM

The old courthouse is fantastic. Sadly, many of those types of buildings have been torn down by "futuristic" thinking municipalities.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 2:01 PM

Breaking your daughter in early to appreciate wildlife aren't you? What a frightening sight for a baby, lol!

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Springfield

Have you been to Springfield?