"As Wonderful as Our Forefathers Left It" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Joseph by mrclay2000
Saint Joseph Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 123 photos
St Joseph now boasts a population of near 75,000, but for all its outward urbanization the city enjoys everything that is wonderful about "small-town" America. The listings on the National Register of Historic Places for the entire county read like a city directory for St Joseph. Nor is this all. The instant the traveling eye scans the city skyline from I-229 along the Missouri River, the instant the image welcomes you to the 1880s. Church spires rise above red-brick hotels and libraries and schools of quarried stone, competing for attention with domes of glass and silver, and magnificent towers of all shapes and sizes. Arriving in town for the first time strikes the visitor with a sort of revelation, an epiphany that if the roadway were removed and your chassis suddenly exhanged for a saddle, you would be riding into town off a neverending range of forest and farmland. Just where to water your horse and gather your bearings, and where to begin what will become a vast exploration, are just the first of the sweetest challenges in this amazing historical tour.
- Pros:Historic district like no other, spires and towers galore
- Cons:One-way streets and traffic lights challenge both appetite and patience
- In a nutshell:The finest Victorian-era city in the whole of mid-America
Built by the Eckel firm in the first quarter of the 20th century, and listed on the National Register of Historic... more travel advice
Several blocks away from the decidedly more handsome churches in the historic center, the Westminster Presbyterian... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Saint Joseph Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Lot of Hidden Treasures"
- "As Wonderful as Our Forefathers Left It"
- "Saint Joseph, Missouri"
- "The Life and Times of St. Joseph, Missouri"
- "brdwtchr's new Saint Joseph Page"
- "St. Joseph"
- "SEPTEMBER 4 - 9, 1993"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Joseph
- Hotels in Saint Joseph
- Transportation in Saint Joseph
- Restaurants in Saint Joseph
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Joseph
- 40 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Saint Joseph?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Joseph
- updated a Saint Joseph Travel Page "As Wonderful as Our Forefathers Left It"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Commented on one of brdwtchr's Saint Joseph travel pages
- Wrote a Review Carnegie Free Library in Saint Joseph Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Wealth of Victorian Commercial Fronts"
Photos in Saint JosephSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos