"Kearney Is What Kearney Was" Kearney by mrclay2000

Kearney Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 29 photos

Gunman, Foundry, Soldier, Hive

Kearney was originally laid out as Centerville in the 1850s, though the James Farm is dated to 1845. Then as now a place for farms and pasture, Kearney is located about sixteen miles north of Kansas City on I-35. Off US-92 there are some attractions of note for the outsider but somewhat sprawled out in this interesting town.

Residency here numbered about 5,500 citizens in the last census. Today the town's websites boasts only two important attractions, thankfully located only a few miles apart.

• Pros:A handful of historical attractions
  • Cons:Everything widely scattered and seen for a fee
  • In a nutshell:Where Jesse James lived, loved, hated and lies
  • Last visit to Kearney: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2003

• DonnieAdams's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Being inside the farm house and picturing what took place, what it must have been like there was fun for me. I love the fact that here is a place you can touch history...not see it behind a rope.

• asturnut's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 7:43 AM

Do you have something against tofu?

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2003 at 7:26 PM

LOL, I just visited Jesse's grave in Texas.. (I won't argue but its funny, the arguement over him:-). Fabulous to visit this area though. Big tourist traps.. good tips.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2003 at 4:40 PM

Chunk of tofu! LOL

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 3:27 PM

There was a t-shirt shop in one of my former residences that sold Jesse James shirts with the following slogan: "I'd rather hang in Missouri than hang around Springfield, Illinois."

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 2:53 PM

Interesting page. I've heard of Jesse James but don't know the exact story. Why don't you add some info about him for all of us non-Americans who don't know this legendary man.

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Kearney

Have you been to Kearney?

Latest Activity in Kearney