"America's Most Important Star Fort" Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine by mrclay2000

O Say Can You See

Fort McHenry was built outside Baltimore during the late 1700s near a cove on Chesapeake Bay. Far enough from town not to threaten the city if lost to enemy hands, the fort covered most of the inlets with large calibur barbette guns able to sweep a wide range. During the British invasion of 1814, the shelling of the fort inspired Francis Scott Key to compose our national anthem.

Every time I see the flag raised now at sporting events and other occasions, the inspirational history of Fort McHenry comes powerfully to mind. Though "The Star Spangled Banner" has been widely regarded as our national anthem for over a century, it did not become our official anthem until 1931.

• Pros:Walls are intact, large collection of barbette guns
  • Cons:Horseflies like vampire bats, horribly humid in summer
  • In a nutshell:The birthplace of our national anthem
  • Last visit to Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine: Aug 1995
  • Intro Written Mar 5, 2003

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 4:20 PM

This is a wonderful place to visit and to bring the family. Lots of history here and want bring my family here!

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 7:17 PM

Before I moved to Baltimore, I thought we could use a better anthem. One visit to Ft. McHenry changed my mind for good! Nice page.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 3:39 PM

So, why did it take over 100 yrs to become the national anthem? I enjoy fort pages. Thanks. And the colossus is just quite funny!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2004 at 9:00 AM

Another page of history enshrined and explained with attention to detail.

• heplion's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 6:33 AM

Still missing this stamp in my little blue book....heck, might not have heard of it before, thanks!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2003 at 10:49 AM

I have lived in the area all of my life and have only been to Ft. McHenry once. I guess we take common things for granted. Nice to read someone else's thoughts.

• dave_21's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2003 at 1:18 AM

The fort seems very well preserved. Terrific pics.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2003 at 10:10 AM

Read this page with interest. Military subjects seem to be your forte.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 7:28 PM

The poor staff, I feel for their plight. I like the black+white photos.

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine

Have you been to Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine?