"September 17, 1862 - America's Bloodiest Day" Top 5 Page for this destination Antietam by mrclay2000
Antietam Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 298 photos
By the time the Federal armies met the Confederates in this lazy corner of Maryland, the posture of the Civil War had begun to take on a recognizable form. Union general McClellan had always managed to convince himself of superior numbers in the enemy, though not once in battle did he ever face a more numerous foe. On this particular occasion, he happened upon the general Confederate plan of battle before the troops ever took their positions. This fortunate accident was even more to his advantage than the obvious fact. His reputation of avoiding heavy casualties, even avoiding direct engagement wherever possible, would momentarily fade as he committed his forces and sustained the attack. By the end of the day, more Americans would lie dead or dying in fields that the day before had been peacefully covered with shoulder-high stalks of corn. Matthew Brady's photographs of the carnage brought home to every American hearth all the horrors of a Civil War that had started with almost a romantic flare, but had since become a slow-grinding sequel of fire and destruction.
- Pros:Easy to follow park road, many structures still standing
- Cons:The battlefield seems too much like a series of exhibits
- In a nutshell:Essential ground for every Civil War buff
Antietam National Battlefield follows an easy series of arrows throughout its course, but for all this the park is... more travel advice
The first structure on the tour beyond the visitor center is the Dunker church, which survived the battle of Antietam.... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Antietam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ANTIETAM - HIGWATER MARK FOR THE CONFEDERACY"
- "antietam national battlefield"
- "Bloodiest Single Day of the American Civil War"
- "The Bloodiest Day of the Civil War"
- "September 17, 1862 - America's Bloodiest Day"
- "Deadliest Day"
- "The Bloodiest Single Day of Battle"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antietam
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Antietam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antietam
Photos in AntietamSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos