"Dominating Church Steeples Typical Among Towns" Park by mrclay2000

Park Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos

Not Unusual - new litmus test for rural U.S.?

For those of you out there who love and pride themselves in Americana, you'll of course consider that little towns ought to have water towers. It is almost a litmus test these days, that to qualify for a village the place must have a water tower, to qualify for a town a McDonald's and to qualify for a city a Wal-mart (or some equivalent).

In rural Kansas, several towns along I-70 have the requisite water towers and other ornamentation besides. Some have grain silos to prove their agrarian heritage, but several villages/towns (such as Park) have a dominating church steeple almost as majestic as the silos. These structures prove that the religious aspect was no farther from village life than sewing and the scythe.

• Pros:Ornate churches easy to reach from Interstate
  • In a nutshell:Why not stretch your legs before such an edifice rather than the rest stop?
  • Last visit to Park: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2003

• Sep 3, 2003 at 12:53 PM

the stone of Kansas is so remarkable, comparable only to the superlative Bath stone of England...when the light hits those buttery slabs...ah! :)

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2003 at 11:29 PM

I look forward to a guided tour of all the churches in the wops of the U.S. of A.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2003 at 7:28 PM

after to a trip to the Netherlands I realized that town/city-scapes are more enchanting when dominated by a steeple. Like zrim, I'll pay a little more attention.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2003 at 8:22 AM

Interesting thoughts, I always visit the churches in Europe, but never in the States. I think I will start paying more attention to some of our churches as well.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2003 at 12:19 PM

Good for you that you got off the interstate!

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Park