"The Daltons' Last Stand" Coffeyville by mrclay2000
Coffeyville Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 21 photos
By the early 1890s, Coffeyville was already a thriving town and expanding further. New banks, new citizens and new loans increased the boundaries beyond the railroad to the south. It was in this town on October 5, 1892, that the Dalton Gang (three brothers and other associates) attempted to rob two banks at the same time, something no other gang had done. In this famous but ultimately failed heist, four gang members were dead along with four citizen-defenders. The rest (as they say) is history.
Apart from the outlawry associated with this town, the wealthiest man in the county (W. P. Brown) built his famous mansion on a hill near the cemetery where the Daltons were buried.
Both the bank and the mansion and many other buildings today fill Coffeyville with a wealth of historic wonders.
- Pros:Plenty of historic attractions throughout town
- Cons:The New does not fit in well with the Old
- In a nutshell:History, Wealth, Outlaws, Museums!
In a state where Victorian-era architecture is abundant in its rural and urban areas, wonderful church architecture is... more travel advice
Like many county courthouses, the Carnegie Free Libraries of rural America tend to make the National Register of... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Coffeyville Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Coffeyville
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Coffeyville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coffeyville
Photos in CoffeyvilleSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos