"An Ageless Town" Van Buren by mrclay2000

Van Buren Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 7 photos

Van Buren Keeps Its Age Well

At present Van Buren is a typical Arkansas town of about 19,000, but unlike many other towns does not derive its existence from a mineral springs or other watercourse. The county seat of Crawford County, the area contains a rich history dating back to the 1830s, but the modern city is modest in spirit and character and indistinguishable from other towns its size throughout the United States. On the other hand, Van Buren preserves its historic district along several blocks on its Main Street leading all the way to the historic courthouse. While so many other nearby cities offer countless more attractions, a stop by Van Buren (or even an overnight stopover) will not disgrace the itinerary of the choosiest traveler.

• Pros:Old historic district easy to navigate and enjoy
  • Cons:Most of town is modern and without distinction
  • In a nutshell:If you're looking for Old Time Main Street, Van Buren delivers
  • Last visit to Van Buren: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2003

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2005 at 5:56 AM

The only thing missing is the horses tethered out the front! (I had to look for five minutes to find a page I hadn't viewed yet)

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2003 at 9:48 AM

I never knew Cindy Crawford could ever establish a Bank , hee hee just kidding you Mike! Great new page my friend! :-))

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 8:24 AM

Surprising architectural treasures in this bordertown. I empathize with the turning of the bank to a martial arts' studio, but I once hung my shingle from a bank robbed by the James-Younger gang.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2003 at 8:42 AM

Just had to have a look at Van Buren. In the state I hesitate to pronounce.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2003 at 9:26 PM

I kept expecting Bonnie and Clyde to come running out of that bank at anytime!! What a Timeless treasure! You're the master of Americana!!

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Van Buren

Have you been to Van Buren?

Latest Activity in Van Buren