"Eureka! Everything Springs to Mind!" Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka Springs by mrclay2000
Eureka Springs Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 741 photos
Your first moments in Eureka Springs will strike you with two contradictory messages. This town is at once one of the best preserved Victorian-era cities in the country, full of relics and imagery that transport you to a horse-drawn century. The modern town is however a shameless tourist trap, selling jewelry and souvenirs out of former banks and merchant offices. Even so, the more time you spend here the more you come to recognize that Eureka Springs offers a very soft welcome, a Mecca wherein you're expected to kick up your feet and rest for the remainder of your days. This town seems not only a surreal diorama of frontier town life, but also the bed and breakfast capital of the world. Just on the fringe of downtown and sprawled out everywhere in these impossible hills, the whole of Carroll County seems given to sleepy hollows and quiet motor inns, of horseback riding and apple cider. Visitors are quickly reminded that they have no business here except the business of relaxation. Evenings in town are like the annual carnival, though they occur everyday and on every corner. Nighttime lighting reminds one of gas lamps and wooden sidewalks, but also of Christmas in its endless halo of Yuletide lanterns. The minute you arrive you'll be in a frenzy to park your car and race out to explore these hilly promenades, but the ambience, and more likely the physical taxation of its hillside layout, will force you to a bench -- or a tavern -- to relax without budging for the rest of your stay.
- Pros:Historic district like no other, a fine place to relax
- Cons:Modern veneer of tourism and knicknacks
- In a nutshell:A fantastic and historical but hidden gem in the Ozarks
If the Basin Park Hotel is too much for your budget, you can try the slightly-less expensive Flat Iron Hotel across the... more travel advice
Directly behind the county courthouse is Eureka Spring's Auditorium, a nondescript-looking vault that looks more a... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Eureka Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Old Time Hot Springs Brings You Here"
- "Eureka! Everything Springs to Mind!"
- "A Real Victorian Village"
- ""Eureka!" Springs"
- "A Great Place To Get Away & Unwind"
- "Eureka Springs - 19th Century Victorian Village"
- "Ozark's Victorian Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eureka Springs
- Hotels in Eureka Springs
- Transportation in Eureka Springs
- Nightlife in Eureka Springs
- Restaurants in Eureka Springs
- Shopping in Eureka Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Eureka Springs
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Eureka Springs
- 23 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Eureka Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eureka Springs
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Commented on one of brdwtchr's Eureka Springs travel pages
- updated a Eureka Springs Travel Page "Eureka! Everything Springs to Mind!"
- Wrote a Review Cosmopolite on the Frontier in Eureka Springs Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cosmopolite on the Frontier"
Photos in Eureka SpringsSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
Latest Eureka Springs hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Eureka Springs
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013
- Land O Nod Inn
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Motel 6 Eureka Springs
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Basin Park Hotel
- 371 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- New Orleans Hotel and Spa
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Swiss Village Inn Eureka Springs
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013
- 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa Eureka Springs
- 1000 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Pointe West Resort and Suites
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Palace Hotel and Bath house
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Angel at Rose Hall Bed and Breakfast
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Arsenic and Old Lace
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Super 8 Eureka Springs
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2013
- Eureka Springs Cliff Cottage Inn - Luxury B&B Suites & Historic Cottages
- 277 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- 11 Singleton House
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 29, 2013
- Sherwood Court Inn
- 348 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013