"Landing Salmon at Their First Landfall" Pasagshak State Recreation Site by mrclay2000
Pasagshak State Recreation Site Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 63 photos
Pasagshak State Recreation Area is a popular place for Kodiak residents and non-residents alike. Even people who don't like to fish or don't own fishing gear enjoy the relative solitude of this popular place, mainly because Pasagshak is the farthest point one can retreat from town still using the island's unpaved highway system. For the actual fisherman, Pasagshak is an easy mark and a commonly successful fishing spot where in the right season each cast invites an almost perfect chance to land a salmon. Kodiak Island is prime spawning ground for most varieties of Alaska's salmon, but limits are imposed on the fishermen. Two reds (sockeyes) daily, two silvers (cohos) daily, two chum salmon (daily), or up to five pink salmon daily, but no more than five salmon in any one day. If all the island's residents caught the daily limit of these game fish, the river and lake systems would lose over 60,000 fish per diem.
A visit to Pasagshak is recommended for anyone who likes the out of doors, and for those who don't fish, just watching the fishermen is an exciting activity, since Alaskan salmon are a little bigger than your childhood blue gills.
- Pros:Easy to reach, loaded with fish, kingfishers and bald eagles
- Cons:Breezy, part of the migration path of the island's buffaloes
- In a nutshell:If you don't dare fish in the backcountry, a great alternative!
Beyond the Pasagshak Recreation Area at the limit of the road is the so-called Fossil Beach, where old shells can often... more travel advice
When I saw this practice in operation, I was first astonished, then disillusioned and ultimately in denial. Without... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Pasagshak State Recreation Site Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fishing, Hiking, Camping!!"
- "Landing Salmon at Their First Landfall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pasagshak State Recreation Site
- Hotels in Pasagshak State Recreation Site
- Restaurants in Pasagshak State Recreation Site
- Warnings and Dangers in Pasagshak State Recreation Site
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pasagshak State Recreation Site
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Pasagshak State Recreation Site?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pasagshak State Recreation Site
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Wrote a Review Ruins in the Dunes in Pasagshak State Recreation Site Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of a Dozen Homes"
- created a Pasagshak State Recreation Site Travel Page "Landing Salmon at Their First Landfall"
- Commented on one of herzog63's Pasagshak State Recreation Site travel pages
Photos in Pasagshak State Recreation SiteSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos