Kodiak Island Hotel Tips by mrclay2000
Kodiak Island Hotels: 338 reviews and 4 photos
about thirty miles from town
Kodiak is divided by public and private lands. Most of the private property is accessible by narrow trails (commonly ATV trails, the customary mode of transportation in the backcountry), so be careful not to pitch your tent too far from the trail. ATV traffic is never heavy, but be wary not to make camp too early in the day, or an ATV (or worse, the actual landowner) might send you chasing after new quarters.
Unique Qualities: Off-trail camping facilitates the resumption of your hike. It also guarantees a flat surface (i.e. the road itself) on which to cook, set up or sort your gear.
river systems, north of Portage Bay
River systems throughout Alaska usually offer extensive space in which to pitch a tent. Kodiak is no exception. The open ground (the better from which to spot an approaching bear), the lulling effect of the nearby stream, the satisfaction of not damaging any vegetation and the good natural drainage make the river systems an ideal place to camp. Most city slickers might doubt the comfort of sleeping on a gravel bar, but the smooth pebbles offer excellent support and to some extent will shift with the movements of the restless sleeper.
Unique Qualities: Camping in established campgrounds might be the limit of one's camping discretion, but sleeping in a river bottom is not only a great way to avoid the gnats and mosquitoes, but also a great way to commune with the wilderness.
More Reviews (47)
- See All A Sinking Feeling
- See All Combatting the Elements
- See All Kodiak's Russian Heritage
- See All Eagle's Eye Views
- See All Out of the Way Eats
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Kodiak Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Time on 'the Rock'"
- "Kodiak Island Home of the Brown Bear"
- "'The Emerald Isle' – Kodiak Island"
- "Kodiak Island... most of you want just "Kodiak""
- "Kodiak Island Odyssey 1980"
- "Rain, Drizzle and Overcast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kodiak Island
- Hotels in Kodiak Island
- Transportation in Kodiak Island
- Restaurants in Kodiak Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Kodiak Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Marshyangdi Hotel Kathmandu
- Arco Guesthouse
- Naruto Edying Hotel Shichishuen
- Al Vagon
- Miramare Hotel
- Vencia Hotel Mykonos
- Hospederia Duque San Martin Cordoba
- Cannes Palace Hotel
- Golden Shores Crown Paradise
- Esplanade Hotel Prague
- Panorama Hotel
- Rhein-Hotel Restaurant Merkelbach
- Super 8 Benton Harbor
Badges & Stats in Kodiak Island
- 49 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Kodiak Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kodiak Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Commented on one of onebadcat's Kodiak Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review A Sinking Feeling in Kodiak Island Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Combatting the Elements"
- updated a Kodiak Island Travel Page "My Time on 'the Rock'"
Photos in Kodiak IslandSee All Photos (49)
Read real reviews about Kodiak Island Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos