"A Town Like Any Other Town, But With a Difference" Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak by mrclay2000

Kodiak Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 446 photos

What Makes Kodiak Tick

Kodiak currently has a population of about 6,300 people, giving it a place among only fourteen Alaskan towns/cities with over 5,000 inhabitants. Devoted presently to the commercial fish industry, Kodiak's history has been tied to its fish and game ever since the Russians built their first onion-domed church here in the 1790s. St Paul's Harbor at the foot of downtown became so congested in recent years with commercial and private craft that new developments cleared forests and paved the way for a new harbor, St Herman's, on nearby Near Island (only a stone's throw from town), which in the mid-1980s was a primitive retreat accessible only by water. Today, despite a decline in the number of canneries, Kodiak's heart is still crowded around the waterfront and the fish industry, but a little of its Russian and Alutiiq heritage is still prominent on its comparatively modest skyline.

• Pros:Everything within walking distance, almost all things accessible
  • Cons:Whiffs of the canneries, incessant rains, unpredictable weather
  • In a nutshell:A charming town with museums, churches and cultural attractions
  • Intro Written Aug 13, 2003

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Fantastic page on very remote place I am going to see in 3 weeks :-))) Thanks a lot for very useful and enjoyable tips.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 5:46 PM

Excellent job on one of my favorite towns! Enjoyed both the photos and writings. Next time you're in the state come a little further west and see what a real fishing town looks like :)

• Aug 24, 2005 at 10:21 PM

did you go to see the bears, or to meet herzog? or explore the beauty of our great state?? when will you come back again to fish with me

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 4:45 AM

Fantastic job on this page. Getting VT'ers to give up fishing secrets is not easy.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2004 at 2:57 PM

Proud to say our family survived the 1964 9.2 earthquake when we were stationed their. Yet, still the beauty has left an everlasting impression in my memory.;-)

• Kodi01's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2003 at 5:21 PM

I love sitting by the dock of a bay, and Hey I think I have 2 Kodi-ak bears at home ;-)

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 9:18 PM

That's the Greatest VT shopping tip I've ever seen!!! The rest of your page is pretty awesome too!!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2003 at 1:28 PM

Aleut, Alutiiq never heard of those names but it makes the place very interesting. Ha, finally a brown bear pic!

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2003 at 9:55 PM

Diamond Jim's seats 40 (8 at a time). Nice page, and don't worry about my carpeting. (haha)

• annk's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2003 at 1:26 PM

As usual, excellent presentation and very interesting! Didn't realize there was so much to see & another destination for my list. Esp. enjoyed the Russian Orthodox churches.

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Badges & Stats in Kodiak