"A Town Like Any Other Town, But With a Difference" Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak by mrclay2000
Kodiak Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 446 photos
Kodiak currently has a population of about 6,300 people, giving it a place among only fourteen Alaskan towns/cities with over 5,000 inhabitants. Devoted presently to the commercial fish industry, Kodiak's history has been tied to its fish and game ever since the Russians built their first onion-domed church here in the 1790s. St Paul's Harbor at the foot of downtown became so congested in recent years with commercial and private craft that new developments cleared forests and paved the way for a new harbor, St Herman's, on nearby Near Island (only a stone's throw from town), which in the mid-1980s was a primitive retreat accessible only by water. Today, despite a decline in the number of canneries, Kodiak's heart is still crowded around the waterfront and the fish industry, but a little of its Russian and Alutiiq heritage is still prominent on its comparatively modest skyline.
- Pros:Everything within walking distance, almost all things accessible
- Cons:Whiffs of the canneries, incessant rains, unpredictable weather
- In a nutshell:A charming town with museums, churches and cultural attractions
Get the best in sports paraphernalia and hip-hop fashion at Bases Loaded down by St Paul's Harbor. While you suck on a... more travel advice
If the hustle and bustle of Kodiak absolutely demands a peaceful retreat, the Northend Park on Near Island is a perfect... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Kodiak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kodiak Alaska"
- "A Town Like Any Other Town, But With a Difference"
- "Kodiak Alaska -- My Home Town"
- "The Emerald Isle"
- "NORTH to ALASKA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kodiak
- Hotels in Kodiak
- Transportation in Kodiak
- Nightlife in Kodiak
- Restaurants in Kodiak
- Shopping in Kodiak
- Warnings and Dangers in Kodiak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kodiak
- 31 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Kodiak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kodiak
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Wrote a Review Fashionable Emporium in Kodiak Shopping
- Commented on one of amberrose's Kodiak travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sounds a Little Fishy"
- created a Kodiak Travel Page "A Town Like Any Other Town, But With a Difference"
Photos in KodiakSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos