"Overshadowed by Its Larger Namesake" Denali State Park by mrclay2000
Denali State Park Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 44 photos
Even with 340,000 acres of land, enough to rank with many of the national parks in the lower forty-eight states, Denali State Park is often overlooked by commuters anxious to explore Denali National Park, which lies adjacent to and completely overshadows the state park.
Most of the state park's trails begin at the George Parks Highway and carry the hiker through rugged and difficult terrain, and some of the state's densest forests. Lakes and rivers and the national park's distant glaciers are all enjoyable from this overlooked state park, but for those needing a camping option not terribly far from the greater Denali, there is a small handful of user-friendly campgrounds here.
In sum, while the national park is by far the more enchanting draw, many of the best views of the High One (i.e. Denali) are appreciated from turnouts in the state park, where visitors can savor the best perspectives of the Alaska Range from a southern vantage.
- Pros:Easy to reach trailheads, simple camping, cozy and comfortable
- In a nutshell:Its deathknell is NOT being quite the national park
Not too horribly far north of Denali State Park is the sparse but spread-out enclave known as Cantwell. The Tesoro... more travel advice
Away from the numerous cottonwoods farther south, Alaska's interior and Denali State Park especially is glutted with... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Denali State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Overshadowed by Its Larger Namesake"
- "Be a Tourist in your own state!!"
- "Welcome to Denali"
- "One of the Jewels of the Alaska Parks System"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Denali State Park
- Hotels in Denali State Park
- Transportation in Denali State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Denali State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Denali State Park
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Denali State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Denali State Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Commented on one of Kentbein's Denali State Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Can't Leave Well Enough Alone in Denali State Park Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Can't Leave Well Enough Alone"
- updated a Denali State Park Travel Page "Overshadowed by Its Larger Namesake"
Photos in Denali State ParkSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos