Denali National Park and Preserve Transportation Tips by mrclay2000 Top 5 Page for this destination
Denali National Park and Preserve Transportation: 33 reviews and 32 photos
Riley Creek camgpround bus stop
At the designated bus stops, you'll find a shelter like this (at the Riley Creek Campground overflow parking). Bus schedules for the various routes are posted on all such shelters, and the drivers are also familiar with most of the routes. Past the Savage River checkpoint, such constructions disappear altogether, to preserve the pristine appearance of the park. Buses run regularly between Riley Creek and the visitor center, and between the visitor center and Savage Creek campground.
one camper bus to another
Denali runs a series of buses, all having varying routes. The camper bus is actually a cheaper means to reach the end of the park road than the tour bus, and reservations (or spaces) are easier to come by. Camper buses run several times daily from the visitor center to Wonder Lake and back. Campers and hikers should tell the driver the section in which to drop them off. When you want to come back out, return to the park road and wave the next one down. Be aware though that buses are sometimes full, so a party might have to wait a few hours for the next one to come by (rarely, but sometimes overnight). The fee is $22.50 (+ $5 park admission, so $27.50) to "enter" the park on the campus bus (i.e. to drive past the Savage River checkpoint).
Denali depot, Alaska Railroad
In the summer, Alaska Railways visits the park twice daily from Anchorage, but trains run at least daily all year round. Round-trips cost about $250, linking a station inside the park entrance with a platform adjacent to the Anchorage International Airport. Though the cost is cheaper than the average car rental, the trains give little or no flexibility. Strict timetables are observed on the rail, but there are few ways better to see the Alaskan interior.
Phone: 1-800-544-0552 or 1-907-265-2494
one bus or another -- unless you walk or pedal
Alaska Park Tours offers a wide spectrum of bus and rafting excursions throughout the Alaskan park system. For almost three times the cost of the park's concessionaire bus ride to the end of the park road (Wonder Lake), visitors can travel by air conditioned coach through the park while listening to narratives on wildlife and vegetation. Certain tours cover just the "tundra wildlife" and others venture to Kantishna Roadhouse for a dinner and "interpretive activities."
More Reviews (45)
- See All Proper Hand Signals
- See All Nothing Fishy About These Regulations
- See All Webbed Dive Bombers
- See All Hurricane Gulch
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The High One and Higher Expectations"
- "Denali National Park"
- "Denali National Park - The Great One"
- "Denali: America's Most Accessible True Wilderness"
- "Denali National Park"
- "Denali - July"
- "Undeniable Beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Hotels in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Transportation in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Nightlife in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Restaurants in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Shopping in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Denali National Park and Preserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Denali National Park and Preserve
- 49 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Denali National Park and Preserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Commented on one of Aurora907's Denali National Park and Preserve travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- updated a Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Page "The High One and Higher Expectations"
- Wrote a Review Proper Hand Signals in Denali National Park and Preserve Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "The High One and Higher Expectations"
Photos in Denali National Park and PreserveSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos