Denali National Park and Preserve Off The Beaten Path Tips by mrclay2000 Top 5 Page for this destination
Denali National Park and Preserve Off The Beaten Path: 21 reviews and 21 photos
At Milemarker 179 of the George Parks Highway (i.e. 60 miles south of the park), Hurricane Gulch is reckoned one of the most beautiful in the state, but the drive along this highway passes several that are similar. For those who have seen advertisements for tourism in our 49th state, wonderful shots depicting the Alaska Railway trains going over a breathtaking valley are often shot at Hurricane Gulch. While photographing the ravine from the trains is permitted and encouraged, commuters will find prohibitions against standing on the bridge for the same shots off the highway.
bush plane over Talkeetna
Talkeetna is a small, out-of-the-way village on the Parks Highway about 130 miles south of Denali's entrance. Nonetheless, its primary business (besides local tourism) is deeply associated with the great park far to the north (Denali itself can be seen from town on clear days). Flightseeing, whitewater river rafting, air taxis, glacier travel and other Denali-related activities are all available from this sleepy, quiet out-of-the-way hub.
roughly Milemarker 201, south of Alaska Range
Denali is not strictly confined to the Alaska Range and parts northward. A great portion of the park's 4.7 million acres lies south of the Alaska Range, but accessing these areas is not particularly easy. Those sections which lie along the Parks Highway sometimes involve a formal permission from private landowners to reach the forested slopes beyond, while those farther away demand a far greater commitment of time. Expect spruce and alder to be constant companions, and as always, make plenty of noise when leafy tangles prevent a far-reaching vision.
the Igloo, Milemarker 189 (Parks Highway)
In the largest American state, keeping gas in the tank is a high priority, because gasoline stations are not as frequent as they are in the lower 48. Around Denali, there are two obvious stations heading north to the park (one at Milemarker 189, the Igloo -- the other at Cantwell at the junction of AK-8 and AK-3, 27 miles south of the park). On the other hand, there is a small enclave with stations a mile north of the park entrance called "Canyon," and Healy has stations 11 miles north of the park. There are no stations within the park boundaries.
More Reviews (45)
- See All Proper Hand Signals
- See All Nothing Fishy About These Regulations
- See All Webbed Dive Bombers
- See All A True Taste of the Far Out
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The High One and Higher Expectations"
- "Denali National Park"
- "Denali National Park - The Great One"
- "Denali: America's Most Accessible True Wilderness"
- "Denali National Park"
- "Denali - July"
- "Undeniable Beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Hotels in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Transportation in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Nightlife in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Restaurants in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Shopping in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Denali National Park and Preserve
- See All...
Explore the World
- Iligan City
- Cornwall Hotels
- Bad Tölz
- Bhadson Hotels
- Marksbury Hotels
- Lough Derg Hotels
- Krakow Off The Beaten Path
- Daytrip outside Amsterdam: Alkmaar
- Roswell Off The Beaten Path
- Burma Off The Beaten Path
- Goa Off The Beaten Path
- Reykjavík Off The Beaten Path
- Zion National Park Off The Beaten Path
- National Stud Farm
- Karachi Off The Beaten Path
- Indonesia Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Denali National Park and Preserve
- 49 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Denali National Park and Preserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Denali National Park and Preserve
- Commented on one of Aurora907's Denali National Park and Preserve travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- updated a Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Page "The High One and Higher Expectations"
- Wrote a Review Proper Hand Signals in Denali National Park and Preserve Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "The High One and Higher Expectations"
Photos in Denali National Park and PreserveSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
Latest Denali National Park and Preserve hotel reviews
- Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge
- 358 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Grande Denali Lodge
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Denali Cabins
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Denali Backcountry Lodge
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Denali Bluffs Hotel
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- McKinley Village Lodge
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- The Perch Resort
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- Denali Grizzly Bear Cabins & Campground
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 31, 2013
- Denali River Cabins
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013
- Wonder Lake Campground
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 13, 2013
- Denali Wilderness Lodge
- 1 Review & Opinion