"The Last Great Frontier" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska by mrclay2000
Alaska Travel Guide: 6,662 reviews and 14,000 photos
Alaska is a sportsman's and outdoorsman's paradise, with the acceptance of certain logistical difficulties. A person's self-sufficiency in this state does not begin and end with the limited highway system, but rather at the point of insertion. Bush pilots and air taxis are familiar sights in Alaskan skies, and will drop off travelers in the most out-of-the-way recesses -- for a heavy fee. From the air, the state is beautiful as no words can describe. Countless glaciers depend from towering crests, while the lowlands thrive in spruce and birch forests, or run to the horizon in a rolling tundra. From the ground, logistics suddenly multiply. Once outside the cities, the adventurer might face the crossing of countless streams or rivers; the trekking across endless terrain where the footfall gives way to varying degrees; the negotiation of dense forest and impenetrable underbrush; the surviving of wet weather and thirsty insects. Despite these obstacles, hundreds of thousands flock to this uppermost American state for good reason. The plenty here (in wildlife and scenery) is just too tempting and revitalizing to allow the myriad obstacles to overcome one's enthusiasm and wanderlust.
- Pros:Fish and game, glacier and tundra, rivers and streams, mountains and ice-blue lakes
- Cons:Mosquitoes, gnats, difficult and expensive access to places
- In a nutshell:Everything in the lower 48 magnified a hundredfold
Hurricane Gulch is generally famous to most people planning an itinerary on Alaska. At Milemarker 179 of the George... more travel advice
Draw a radius of 50 miles from the center of Anchorage and you will compass an area through which most visitors to... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 264 Reviews
- 282 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Photos in AlaskaSee All Photos (282)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
Top Alaska hotels
- Anchorage Hotels
- 818 Reviews - 1480 Photos
- Seward Hotels
- 201 Reviews - 484 Photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Hotels
- 321 Reviews - 596 Photos
- Fairbanks Hotels
- 315 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Barrow Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 142 Photos
- Juneau Hotels
- 357 Reviews - 869 Photos
- Dutch Harbor Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Sitka Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 278 Photos
- Ketchikan Hotels
- 221 Reviews - 533 Photos
- Valdez Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 182 Photos
- Homer Hotels
- 148 Reviews - 367 Photos
- Skagway Hotels
- 158 Reviews - 459 Photos
- Kenai Hotels
- 103 Reviews - 240 Photos
- Tetlin Junction Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Nome Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 96 Photos