London Off The Beaten Path Tips by mrclay2000
London Off The Beaten Path: 1,498 reviews and 2,237 photos
221B Baker Street (formerly 239)
For Sherlock Holmes buffs and other interested parties, the fictional residence of the famed detective exists today as a museum in northern London. Baker Street itself it not particularly stylish, but the subway station (Baker Street) is replete with countless silhouettes of the famed Sherlock Holmes silhouette.
Other Contact: Open 10-6 daily
Phone: 071-935 8866
Bank of England
This massive structure is the 18th century repository of England's central (federal) bank, established in 1694, known popularly as "the Old Lady of Threadneedle St." Certain architectural embellishments later created a windowless front facade (in the interests of security). A museum adjacent tells the history of the bank.
Other Contact: Open M-F 10-5
Phone: 071-601 5545
murals near the Monument
This 202-foot tall fluted Doric column reputedly stands 202 feet from the spot where the Great Fire of 1666 began in Pudding Lane. Murals near the column (known as The Monument) detail the progress of the fire from start to finish.
Hours: Apr-Sep M-F 9-6, Sa-Su 2-6; Oct-Mar M-Sa 9-2 & 3-4
Other Contact: Tube: Monument
Phone: 071-626 2717
Centre Court and Court 1, Wimbledon
The village of Wimbledon (southwest London) hosts one of Tennis' Grand Slam events every summer. Accessible by British Rail and by the Tube, the famed Centre Court and the infamous Court #2 are surfaced both in grass and some of the greatest lore in tennis over the past 125 years.
HMS Belfast (right)
Since its rescue from the scrapyards by the Imperial War Museum in 1971, the HMS Belfast has been open to the public as a museum. A Southampton-class cruiser from the late 1930s, its main attractions are the gun turrets and the fighting history of the ship, but cramped spaces and narrow gangways might make for some discomfort. Sitting alongside the Thames embankment above Tower Bridge, the cruiser is one of several London landmarks that illuminates at night.
Hours: Open daily Apr to Oct 10-5:30, Nov to Mar 10-4
Phone: 071-407 6434
George Cruikshank, Dickens' illustrator
Located far to the northwest of the greater London attractions, Kensal Green cemetery contains some of England's most illustrious names. Authors William Makepeace Thackeray, Anthony Trollope and Wilkie Collins are here (the latter buried alongside his mistress), as well as the 5th Duke of Portland, Blondin (the famous tightrope walker), the Duke of Sussex, the Duke of Somerset, and Leigh Hunt.
Other Contact: Tube: Kensal Green
Phone: 081-969 0152
The Marble Arch was originally erected in front of Buckingham Palace as a grand entrance, but proved too narrow for the state carriages. A few decades later it was brought here to Hyde Park, where it now commands a lonely island. Similar in appearance to the Arch of Constantine in Rome, the Arch stands near the former site of the Tyburn Tree, for centuries London's famous execution venue. There supposedly stands a marker on the local sidewalk where the Tree once stood, but a thorough search yielded (for me) nothing.
The Bank of England shares its recess on Threadneedle Street with the Royal Exchange, which joined the triumvirate of buildings at the same time as a plain equestrian statue of Wellington (1844). Together with the Bank, the pair compose the most prominent financial duo in the City.
This domed structure, located just down the street from the cloisters of Westminster Abbey, was built in 1912, and in 1946 became the first home of the General Assembly of the United Nations.
More Reviews (42)
- Speaking Your Mind
- See All The National Gallery
- See All Illustrious Houses of God
- Fashionable Mayfair
mrclay2000's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "London, Misty Albion"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Explore the World
- Maine Off The Beaten Path
- Istanbul Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Iowa Off The Beaten Path
- Ireland Off The Beaten Path
- Rome Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- North Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Thailand Off The Beaten Path
- Sri Lanka Off The Beaten Path
- Japan Off The Beaten Path
- Anastasia Island State Park.
Badges & Stats in London
- 51 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
Latest London hotel reviews
- YHA London Central
- 223 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Somerset Hotel
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Holly House Hotel
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Best Western Hare and Hounds Hotel
- 369 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Ashburn Kensington Hotel
- 355 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Royal Garden Hotel - A Summit Hotel
- 552 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Park Lane Mews Hotel
- 336 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Vancouver Studios
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Ibis London Excel
- 426 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Number Thirteen Half Moon Street
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 22, 2010
- 44 Curzon Street Apartments
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Harlingford Hotel
- 224 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Bridgestreet Circus Apartments
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Her Majesty Hotel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- 230 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Tower of London- 456 Reviews, 739 Photos
- British Museum- 297 Reviews, 525 Photos
- London Eye- 254 Reviews, 435 Photos
- Tower Bridge- 289 Reviews, 456 Photos
- Buckingham Palace.- 394 Reviews, 649 Photos
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben- 369 Reviews, 611 Photos
- Trafalgar Square- 271 Reviews, 466 Photos
- Hyde Park- 164 Reviews, 292 Photos
- St Pauls Cathedral- 242 Reviews, 401 Photos
- Westminster Abbey- 255 Reviews, 429 Photos
See All London Things to Do