"Truly a City of Beauty and Romance" Venice by mrclay2000
Venice Travel Guide: 8,203 reviews and 21,709 photos
From the moment you arrive, whether by car or train, the living image of Venice removes everything you thought you knew of the city from photos and guidebooks. There is mystery and romance and flair in a sprawling but local society of majestic and lesser churches and hotels nestled amid the hundred-odd isles which compose Venice.
On the other hand, the deeper you penetrate the more you come to realize something a little askew about Venice. The resting gondolas are meant to be viewed as postcards. The gondoliers are worse than used car salesmen. There are generally more tourists here than locals regardless of the season. For all its wealth and renown, once the Mistress of the Mediterranean, there are only four superb vistas and they all figure from the Grand Canal: the view eastward from Rialto Bridge, the view eastward from Accademia Bridge, the views from the edge of the Piazzetta and balcony of San Marco, and the overall view of the city from the campanile of San Marco.
On the first hand, what city anywhere can compare with Venice?
- Pros:Enchanting City of 100 Isles
- Cons:A Commercial Veneer over the Modern City
- In a nutshell:Romance and Beauty
It is imperative upon the modern traveler to seek out every view of and every view from the Rialto Bridge. Forget that... more travel advice
The Serenissima conducted its state affairs in the Palazzo Ducale, where photographs (at least at the time of my visit)... more travel advice
mrclay2000's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: We Can No Longer Tolerate..."
- Commented on one of desert_princess's Venice travel pages
- Wrote a Review What News from Rialto? (Othello) about Rialto Bridge in Venice Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Your Paid Receipt!"
- updated a Venice Travel Page "Truly a City of Beauty and Romance"
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 106 reviews, 129 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 97 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 80 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 70 reviews, 71 photos
- Prague Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- United States of America Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos
- Guthrie Intro, 57 reviews, 59 photos
- London Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos