"Center Tuftonboro" Center Tuftonboro by Krumlovgirl

Center Tuftonboro Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 31 photos

My Home for the Summer (Briefly) of 2005

There is not much to do in Center Tuftonboro. It has a population of 12. No, I’m just kidding. It’s probably more like 20. I add it to my website because it was my adopted home for the summer and I wanted to share some photos of it. It’s actually a very beautiful place with lots of mountains and a large pond that looks more like a lake called Dan Hole Pond. There is a library, a post office (which also doubles as a general store and video outlet), and a police station. I know they have police because my mom called them to come up and check on me when she didn’t hear from me for a couple of days. (I don’t have a telephone.)

So you’re probably NOT going to come here unless you have a specific reason to. But it is very beautiful and if you’re in the area, it’s a nice drive down 171.

SOME HISTORY

I copied this from Wikipedia since I don't really know much about the town, historically.

"Tuftonboro was the only incorporated place in New Hampshire owned by just one man, John Tufton Mason, for whom the town was named. Mason was heir to the Masonian Claim, the undivided lands of northern New Hampshire, which he sold in 1746 to a group of Portsmouth merchants, thereafter known as the Masonian Proprietors. They disposed of the land via grants to prospective settlers prior to the American Revolution. The town would be granted in 1750 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, and incorporated in 1795.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 129.7 km² (50.1 mi²). 106.5 km² (41.1 mi²) of it is land and 23.2 km² (8.9 mi²) of it (17.85%) is water. Tuftonboro is drained by the Melvin and Beech rivers. Mirror Lake is in the south, and Dan Hole Pond is in the north. The highest point in Tuftonboro is the south peak of Mount Shaw, elevation 2,930 feet (893 meters) above sea level, on the town's northwest boundary.

Tuftonboro has miles of winding back roads, rolling fields, old homesteads and beautiful scenic views of the Ossipee Mountains that surround it.

Melvin Village, a village of Tuftonboro, is a summer vacation spot on Melvin Bay of Lake Winnipesaukee. It has a marina and many lakeside homes and cottages that are for rent. It is also a popular spot for antique shopping. Running through the village is New Hampshire Route 109. Melvin Village is in the western part of Tuftonboro, bordering the town of Moultonborough."

Country Roads

Yes, this is what I get to drive down everyday. At night it is loaded with deer and you can only go about 5mph. Once, I even saw a bear.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

No one said anything about ghosts...

I've upated my travelogues regarding Tuftonboro and my time spent there and if you want to read about my hauntings just look below.

• Last visit to Center Tuftonboro: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2006

• Nov 16, 2007 at 9:20 PM

which lake are you referring to, with tunnels and caves? i spent every summer on dan hole pond as a child (on the opposite side from tuftonboro) and never heard anything about that.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 2:36 AM

I love ghost stories: excellent writing! I curious about the story behind the ghost :-)

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 6:14 AM

I'd never have lasted as long as you did in that haunted place. You must be a lot braver than you think.

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 11:09 AM

creepy story, I would never have lasted 6 weeks!

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 11:32 AM

Spooky indeed. Nothing like that has every happened to me.

• MotorCityMan's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 6:03 AM

You tell a good "ghost story", 'becca; and this one is better 'cause it's REAL! Yes, I can vouch for the fact that our intrepid traveler was a stressed-out girl last summer! (Are you sure it wasn't "bad dreams" brought on by that HOT PINK bedspread?!) ;-)

Krumlovgirl Used To Live Here!

Krumlovgirl

“I dream of a better tomorrow when chickens can cross the road without having their movtives questioned.”

Badges & Stats in Center Tuftonboro

Have you been to Center Tuftonboro?

Latest Activity in Center Tuftonboro