" No Longer My Home, but I Still Love It" Richmond by Krumlovgirl

Richmond Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 273 photos

Richmond

I have a lot more photos of Richmond on my external photo page. Check out my album... My Richmond Photo Album

We were kind of nomadic back when I was younger and until we moved to Richmond and settled into the family life, the longest I had ever lived anywhere was about two years. It's changed a lot since I moved here nearly twenty years ago. Back then it was kind of a small town. Everyone knew everyone, we had no shopping to speak of, and Lexington seemed to be about a million miles away. Now, everyone knows everyone, we have no shopping to speak of...Just kidding. It HAS grown up a lot. I used to be able to name all the subdivisions and if you told me the name of a street I could tell you where it was. Now, it seems like we have a new subdivision go up everyday and I lost track of them five years ago. The city used to be surrounded by lovely farmland, stone fences, and horses. Now it's becoming increasingly difficult to see any farmland at all-the skyline is dominated by houses that look exactly the same. Our downtown area is slowly drying up, although recent attention has been given to it and it local businesses have been trying to move in. If you look hard and long you can find some good shopping and restaurants, although we're stock full of the regular chains like Applebees and O'Charleys.

The good thing about Richmond is that it really is a beautiful town. The Kentucky River runs through it and there are some beautiful palisades and hiking areas. It's a very historical place and we rival Richmond when it comes to historical attractions. Who else has White Hall-a 44 room Italianate and Georgian mansion that was bult by the Minister to Russia?

Websites

City of Richmond

Richmond Tourism

Where It's At

Richmond is basically in the heart of the Bluegrass region of Kentucky. It is a medium sized town about thirty minutes south of Lexington. Horse farms are abundant and if looks exactly like western Ireland, except there are more trees in Richmond. It's a pretty proserous town and a lot of the wealthy people that work in Lexington but don't want to live in the city live in Richmond instead.

Schools

The Richmond area is blessed with many good schools and I think I attended all of them at some point. For Elementary schools we have Kit Carson and White Hall, arguably the best two public elementary schools in the county. I went to White Hall ofr a year and loved it. It's reputation hasn't diminshed since I attended. Madison Middle is a great middle school and my other alma mater. The architecture of the building itself is great. We only have one public high school, but I attended private school at Model Laboratory. Despite the fact that some people think it is a private school for the wealthy, in actuality most of the kids had parents who worked at the university. The schools sets on the campus of EKU and is considered part of it, so it was natural for a lot of the people employed there to send their kids to school at Model. It is smaller than the public high school, but because of our funding and our small size we had some great advantages. I liked going there.

Top 10 Things About Richmond

1. Berea (ten minutes down the road)

2. White Hall State Historic Site (worked there as a tour guide for awhile and got to wear the hoop skirt and everything)

3. Eastern Kentucky University (mine and my mother's alma mater)

4. Ft. Boonesboro (I worked there as a candle maker one summer)

5. Poosey Ridge (the best place to go for a ride in the foothills of the Appalachias)

5. Christmas markets in December (when all the little old ladies cook to their hearts' content and my stomach pays later on down the road)

6. 4th of July at Lake Reba (fireworks, food, and more)

7. Autumn in Madison County (beautiful fall foilage)

8. Downtown Richmond- although it is drying up and we don't have any really geat restaurants there, the architecture is very nice and when I'm home I like to take walks down Main Street with my camera (as you can tell)

9. Mexican restaurants- for a town this small, it's pretty good that we've got 3, with another one on the way. Well, 4 if you count Taco Bell. We did have another one, but it closed. Poor El Caribbe. You are missed.

10. Friendly people. Richmond has a good friendly vibe to it. I've lived all over, but feel most at home there because people do seem to go out of their way to help other people out. It's a southern town.

Copyrite

All photos on these pages are mine that I have taken myself, unless noted otherwise.

Check out my Attractions Tips to see me in costume from when I worked at Ft. Boonesboro and White Hall! (And at the time White Hall wasn't air conditioned!)

• Pros:Pretty, clean, inexpensive housing, good schools, small town feel
  • Cons:The fastest growing city in the state of Kentucky.
  • In a nutshell:A small town feel in what will soon be a big city.
  • Last visit to Richmond: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2007

• Jun 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Richmond isn't the same fun, friendly place that it used to be thanks to our overzealous local government, but it used to be one of the best.

• May 6, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I just wanted to add that Tsing Tao also has the BEST Lo Mein that I've tried anywhere, in or out of state. Definitely try some on your next visit! :)

• diosh's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 4:08 AM

Hi- was going to say hello from Richmond, Surrey- but noticed I did that some time ago!Anyway- hello again:-)Diana x p.s.wonderful photos.

• Apr 13, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I must warn that I have never eaten at the Richmond Ryan's and not gotten sick in the stomach soon afterwards, esp. if I eat the soft serve ice cream. I've seen much nicer Ryan's regionally or would rather drive to Golden Corale in Lexington.

• Feb 13, 2007 at 11:33 AM

The shop closed down in Jan of 07. No longer there.

• wenterskye's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2005 at 9:42 AM

I am planning a wedding for March. Do you know of any good photographers in the region that I could look at. (I can't take my own pictures, unfortunately. :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2005 at 10:54 PM

Your pictures and stories, your external homepage are superb, Becky! Thanks !

• May 5, 2005 at 5:13 AM

Good job Rebecca. Your pictures are great and the information very accurate. I'm proud of you! You presented our town extremely well. Carol B

• fullminty's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 5:54 PM

I'm having trouble contacting the good folks at Barnes Mill B & B in Richmond KY. fullminty@yahoo.com

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 5:25 AM

Happy Birthday, Rebecca!! This really is a marvelous page about your hometown! Very comprehensive and interesting tips. Sounds like a nice place to live!

Krumlovgirl

“I dream of a better tomorrow when chickens can cross the road without having their movtives questioned.”

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?

Latest Activity in Richmond