"Horse Capital of Kentucky" Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington by Krumlovgirl
Lexington Travel Guide: 270 reviews and 606 photos
Decided that it wasn’t very cool that I had all of these foreign pages, but hardly any local ones. So, here goes Lexington.
Lexington is the largest city closest to me. Although far from a major metropolis, it does have a great restaurant selection for a town of its size. It also has a really good theatre, the Kentucky, which plays host to lots of independent and arty films.
The biggest thing that Lexington has going for it is that it is the “Horse Capital of the Bluegrass.” If you’re a horse lover, then this is definitely place to be. We have Keeneland (setting for “Seabiscuit”), the race track, the Kentucky Horse Park, and lots and lots of horse farms that you can get private tours of. I’ll try to add things as they come to me.
FYI: Lexington has been the filming location for several movies. The most recent movies are "Seabiscut" and "Elizabethtown." We try to forget that "Simpatico" with Sharon Stone was also filmed here. :-)
1) Atomic Cafe- chicken stuffed with shrimp and spinach, covered in Hollandaise sauce and served with black beans and rice.
2) Natasha's Cafe- Hungarian goulasch wrap with a bowl of the soup du jour
3) Carraba's- penne arrabiata with dessert rosa and a chocolate martini
4) Bellinis- 4 cheese pasta, caprese, and tiramisu for dessert
5) Metropol- open-faced vegetarian lasagne
1) Dinner at a downtown restaurant-especially in the summer since a lot of places have al fresco dining now, too
2) A film at the Kentuckt Theatre- gorgeous old theatre that shows everything from new releases to independent movies made by local people
3) An Opera House show- We've seen lots of good things at the Opera House- "Phantom of the Opera", "Jeckyll and Hide", "the Full Monty", "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever", "Miss Saigon"...
4) Joseph Beth bookstore- they have a nice cafe, or you can get a pile of books and sit down in one of their cosy chairs. They encourage you to read!
5) Regal Cinemas at Hamburg Place- do the traditional-dinner, shopping, and a movie!
6) Horse and carriage ride through downtown and around Gratz Park
Convention & Visitor's Bureau
Lexington Chamber of Commerce
Downtown Lexington Corporation
Lexington Arts & Cultural Council
Lexington Art League
ABOUT MY REVIEWS & PHOTOS
My Lexington photos are my own property and have not been copies from any websites. While I do take information (like contact info) from the websites, I do not review anything unless I have been to the institution personally. Thankfully, in my profession, I get to play "tourist" in my own hometown and in the towns around me which lets me stay inlocal hotels, eat in many restaurants, and partake in many local attractions. So I guess you could say that I am a "professional tourist." :-)
I've stayed at the Radisson several times, the last being in the fall of 2005. It's a basic hotel, mostly built for... more travel advice
Four times a year Lexington hosts the New Earth Festival at the Continental Inn. I just call it what it is-the psychic... more travel advice
Krumlovgirl's Related Pages
Lexington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Horse Capital of Kentucky"
- "Horse Country"
- "Well, the Blue Grass is green"
- "Lexington, KY... Neeeeeighborly"
- "Lexington-My Home in the Bluegrass"
- "Lexington - The Heart of the Bluegrass"
- "Horses and Universities"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lexington
- Hotels in Lexington
- Transportation in Lexington
- Nightlife in Lexington
- Restaurants in Lexington
- Shopping in Lexington
- Warnings and Dangers in Lexington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lexington
- 47 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Lexington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington
Photos in LexingtonSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Richmond Intro, 90 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington Intro, 47 reviews, 104 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky Intro, 26 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 42 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berea Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lampeter Intro, 8 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 9 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues