"Horse Capital of Kentucky" Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington by Krumlovgirl

Lexington Travel Guide: 257 reviews and 588 photos

Decided that it wasn’t very cool that I had all of these foreign pages, but hardly any local ones. So, here goes Lexington.

Lexington is the largest city closest to me. Although far from a major metropolis, it does have a great restaurant selection for a town of its size. It also has a really good theatre, the Kentucky, which plays host to lots of independent and arty films.

The biggest thing that Lexington has going for it is that it is the “Horse Capital of the Bluegrass.” If you’re a horse lover, then this is definitely place to be. We have Keeneland (setting for “Seabiscuit”), the race track, the Kentucky Horse Park, and lots and lots of horse farms that you can get private tours of. I’ll try to add things as they come to me.

FYI: Lexington has been the filming location for several movies. The most recent movies are "Seabiscut" and "Elizabethtown." We try to forget that "Simpatico" with Sharon Stone was also filmed here. :-)

Favorite Restaurants (and what to eat)

1) Atomic Cafe- chicken stuffed with shrimp and spinach, covered in Hollandaise sauce and served with black beans and rice.

2) Natasha's Cafe- Hungarian goulasch wrap with a bowl of the soup du jour

3) Carraba's- penne arrabiata with dessert rosa and a chocolate martini

4) Bellinis- 4 cheese pasta, caprese, and tiramisu for dessert

5) Metropol- open-faced vegetarian lasagne

Great things to do in the evening...

1) Dinner at a downtown restaurant-especially in the summer since a lot of places have al fresco dining now, too

2) A film at the Kentuckt Theatre- gorgeous old theatre that shows everything from new releases to independent movies made by local people

3) An Opera House show- We've seen lots of good things at the Opera House- "Phantom of the Opera", "Jeckyll and Hide", "the Full Monty", "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever", "Miss Saigon"...

4) Joseph Beth bookstore- they have a nice cafe, or you can get a pile of books and sit down in one of their cosy chairs. They encourage you to read!

5) Regal Cinemas at Hamburg Place- do the traditional-dinner, shopping, and a movie!

6) Horse and carriage ride through downtown and around Gratz Park

Lexington Links

Convention & Visitor's Bureau

Lexington Chamber of Commerce

Downtown Lexington Corporation

Lexington Arts & Cultural Council

Lexington Art League

ABOUT MY REVIEWS & PHOTOS

My Lexington photos are my own property and have not been copies from any websites. While I do take information (like contact info) from the websites, I do not review anything unless I have been to the institution personally. Thankfully, in my profession, I get to play "tourist" in my own hometown and in the towns around me which lets me stay inlocal hotels, eat in many restaurants, and partake in many local attractions. So I guess you could say that I am a "professional tourist." :-)

• Last visit to Lexington: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2008

• Sep 14, 2009 at 11:55 AM

CLOSED YEARS AGO

• May 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM

About Bella Notte in Lex: It was actually created by same co. that owns Fazoli's. It was a "test market" restaurant that for whatever reason they decided not to franchise out. If they still have the Ricotta Cheesecake, try that sometime... heavenly! :)

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2007 at 5:04 AM

Thanks again, Rebecca. You have been a big help as I love the details you give in your tips.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 11:45 AM

great city to shop and walk around. Horse capital of the world.

Krumlovgirl Visits Here Frequently!

Krumlovgirl

“I dream of a better tomorrow when chickens can cross the road without having their movtives questioned.”

Badges & Stats in Lexington

Have you been to Lexington?

Latest Activity in Lexington