"My Bregenz-Home Sweet Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Bregenz by Krumlovgirl

Bregenz Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 365 photos

What It's All About

Man oh man. I spent a lot of time here back in 2000. This was home to me for a summer when I participated in a study abroad. I know, not the first destination for people who come to Austria-but it should be! It is the quintessential Austrian town. No tourists. Great food. Lovely lake. Good spot for daytrips. One of my favorite places. Period.

What To Do

I highly reccommend a daytrip to the Pfander. Basically, it is a big mountain in the middle of town. You can ride a cable up to it, and once you get up there the vew is awesome. On good clear days you can see Germany, Austria, Switerland, Lichtenstein, and even France far off in the distance.

I also suggest a daytrip through the Bregenzerwald-the Bregenz forest. Take yourself a picnic lunch and make a day of it. It's beautiful.

The Volks museum has some wonderdul Roman Empire artifacts, along with some other neat things. It only costs about $1 to get into it and you could spend a couple of hours wandering around.

If you're there in the summer, check out the music festival. It is world famous and features an enourmous floating stage on the lake. When I was there the first time the theme was "Ein Maskenball" and the stage consisted of a 300 foot skeleton.

A daytrip to the lovely German island of Lindau (about 10 minutes) away can not be missed. It is a great little tourist island and you can shop and eat to your heart's content.

Take a boat ride to the island of Mainau, where flowers abound. No one lives on the island, but there is a palace and lots of gardens to wander around in.

Favorite Place To Eat

Can't miss the Hirsch for great authentic Austrian food. Reasonably priced, too. Try out the mohr imd for dessert. It's basically a small chocolate bunt cake, filled with chocolate sauce and topped with real whipped cream.

• Pros:Barely any tourists, Good variey of places to eat (Mexican, Italian, Greek, etc.), Great lakeshore, Good homebase for daytrips, Friendly people
  • Cons:Not a whole lot to do in the town, Not too many hotel options
  • In a nutshell:If you want something different, give it a shot!
  • Last visit to Bregenz: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2006

• Nov 1, 2006 at 2:26 PM

Your description of the distant Alps in your Travel Tip is how I also remember them, and would describe them. Bregrenz, another lovely town on Lake Constance.

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 8:58 AM

Ha - Austria - my home... and boy do I know Bregenz.... had a boyfriend there once.... I think he played susaphon with the marching band hahaha!

• morgenhund's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2005 at 3:24 PM

I might have to try the Deurling Schlossle - I have stayed at the Mercure before now - very convenient for the Casino ;-) Mike

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 2:51 AM

Glad you had a good stay in Bregenz. I went there again this summer for the festival, and had a great time.

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 9:17 AM

GOOD PAGE ON BERGENZ ,WANTED SEE WHAT AUSTRIA HAD ON LAKE BODENSEE

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2004 at 4:10 AM

very beautiful place & page ! Well done !

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2004 at 3:55 PM

Krumlov meets Bregenz! I agree that this little corner of Austria goes unnoticed by many except the locals. The Altstadt adn Pfaedener are must-sees in this region as you aptly point out.

• Dec 2, 2003 at 10:40 AM

I always like to visit this page when I am feeling down. The old world charm, and subtle beauty never ceases to cheer me up. I always remember the fun I had in Bregenz, and the fun I know I'll have when I go back.

• btex's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2003 at 12:13 PM

the pfander sounds great! nice photos.

Krumlovgirl

“I dream of a better tomorrow when chickens can cross the road without having their movtives questioned.”

Badges & Stats in Bregenz

Have you been to Bregenz?

Latest Activity in Bregenz