"My Bregenz-Home Sweet Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Bregenz by Krumlovgirl
Bregenz Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 365 photos
Man oh man. I spent a lot of time here back in 2000. This was home to me for a summer when I participated in a study abroad. I know, not the first destination for people who come to Austria-but it should be! It is the quintessential Austrian town. No tourists. Great food. Lovely lake. Good spot for daytrips. One of my favorite places. Period.
I highly reccommend a daytrip to the Pfander. Basically, it is a big mountain in the middle of town. You can ride a cable up to it, and once you get up there the vew is awesome. On good clear days you can see Germany, Austria, Switerland, Lichtenstein, and even France far off in the distance.
I also suggest a daytrip through the Bregenzerwald-the Bregenz forest. Take yourself a picnic lunch and make a day of it. It's beautiful.
The Volks museum has some wonderdul Roman Empire artifacts, along with some other neat things. It only costs about $1 to get into it and you could spend a couple of hours wandering around.
If you're there in the summer, check out the music festival. It is world famous and features an enourmous floating stage on the lake. When I was there the first time the theme was "Ein Maskenball" and the stage consisted of a 300 foot skeleton.
A daytrip to the lovely German island of Lindau (about 10 minutes) away can not be missed. It is a great little tourist island and you can shop and eat to your heart's content.
Take a boat ride to the island of Mainau, where flowers abound. No one lives on the island, but there is a palace and lots of gardens to wander around in.
Can't miss the Hirsch for great authentic Austrian food. Reasonably priced, too. Try out the mohr imd for dessert. It's basically a small chocolate bunt cake, filled with chocolate sauce and topped with real whipped cream.
- Pros:Barely any tourists, Good variey of places to eat (Mexican, Italian, Greek, etc.), Great lakeshore, Good homebase for daytrips, Friendly people
- Cons:Not a whole lot to do in the town, Not too many hotel options
- In a nutshell:If you want something different, give it a shot!
The Pfander! Where else can you see five countries at once? The first time I visited the Pfander, I had no idea what to... more travel advice
Probably the best shopping is along the main street. There is at least one souvenir place and a couple of little... more travel advice
- See All From London
- See All MERCURE BREGENZ CITY
- Summer vs. Winter
- Bregenz? Warnings?
Krumlovgirl's Related Pages
Bregenz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Bregenz"
- "My Bregenz-Home Sweet Home"
- "Bregenz: a fantastic town on the Lake Constance"
- "Bregenz - How to fall in love with a city"
- "City by the lake..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bregenz
- Hotels in Bregenz
- Transportation in Bregenz
- Nightlife in Bregenz
- Restaurants in Bregenz
- Shopping in Bregenz
- Warnings and Dangers in Bregenz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bregenz
- 17 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bregenz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bregenz
Photos in BregenzSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Richmond Intro, 90 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington Intro, 47 reviews, 104 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky Intro, 26 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 42 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berea Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lampeter Intro, 8 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 9 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues