"My Old Kentucky Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky by Krumlovgirl

Kentucky Travel Guide: 2,289 reviews and 5,906 photos

Except for brief interludes that required me to live in other states (or countries) for job and school purposes, I have lived my entire life in Kentucky. A lot of people that I knew when I was younger didn’t like living there and their biggest ambition was to get out of the state. Me? I always liked it. There are some parts that I like better than others, and I’ve lived in a few places that I wouldn’t really want to live in again, but on the whole it’s a very nice state. Yes, we do wear shoes. We have the Internet. We are not all inbred (although I am related to my dad twice-once through marriage) and we’re not all rednecks. Although I have nothing against rednecks personally. I know a few myself and they’re some of my favorite people.

Kentucky is extremely diverse when it comes to geography. We have the Appalachian Mountains in the east. This is where you’ll find the coal mines (Portal 31 lets you take a tour through it and it’s awesome), the Daniel Boone National Forest, the Cumberland Gap, the Red River Gorge (where I am from originally), and the Country Music Highway. In the central part of the state we have the Kentucky River and the palisades. It’s a little hilly, but this is mostly where you’ll see the horses, rolling farms, and bigger towns. Well, bigger as opposed to the east. There are many historical homes, museums, family activities, and plenty of things to keep you occupied. Frankfort (our capital) is in central Kentucky, as are Lexington, Richmond, Corbin, Berea, Danville, and Somerset. In the west, there are virtually no hills at all and it’s mostly flat. We do have the Land Between the Lakes, a park, and Louisville, the largest city in Kentucky.

US-23 The Country Music Highway

We’ve had many a country music singer come from Eastern Kentucky. Actually, we’ve had several come from Central and Western Kentucky, too. But the Eastern part of the state had so many that they named a highway after the artists. Having grown up there, and it’s a fairly small area, I remember people talking about Ricky Skaggs and Keith Whitley like they were family. Heck, they probably WERE. The East is very proud of their musical heritage.

The Highway pays tribute to:

“Coal Miner’s Daughter” by Loretta Lynn
“John Deere Tractor” by the Judds
“Guardian Angels” by the Judds
“Kentucky Bluebird” by Keith Whitley
“My Old Kentucky Home” by Stephen Foster (our state song)

Links to My Kentucky Pages

Lord only knows
When I'll see you again
You're 'bout as close
As the moon up above
You're my long distance love

You fly away

Blue is a feeling I'm learning so well
Turn on the TV
In another hotel
Turn down the volume
And stare at the wall
God I wish you would call

You fly away

How I hate the miles between us
They get longer each day
I had this dream
And you should have seen us
Holding each other
And drifting away

• Last visit to Kentucky: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2008

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Nice page! I'm thinking about visiting Kentucky, a State we have spent the night in, and driven through several times, but never actually did anything else. Looks like we would enjoy it. We like West Virginia.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Great page of Kentucky. Enjoyed viewing your photos. Any chance you have been to Mammoth Cave National Park. Cheers, SL :)

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Thanks, Rebecca for great tips. Our granddaughter loves horses, so where else would we take her? Going to the KY Horse Park so will check out Lesington later.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 11:17 AM

Congrats on the engagement! How are you? Please say hi to your Mum for me.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 6:07 AM

Well certainly looks like a great place to live in Rebecca! Beautiful country scenes here. Love the old Fort and shops. Not much of a history person, but I do like looking at those places! Enjoyed your pages. Cheers, Ann :o)

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 2:26 AM

I think KY is great. You did an excellent job !! Have to look out for one of these Frosty Freeze things.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 5:32 PM

Nice commentary on your home state--it was obvious your heart is there!

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 9:47 AM

Don't forget Kentucky Fried Chicken :o)

• wenterskye's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2005 at 11:25 AM

Beautiful pages! I like how you drew them together from your other pages-great idea! Hope to see more!

Krumlovgirl

“I dream of a better tomorrow when chickens can cross the road without having their movtives questioned.”

Badges & Stats in Kentucky

Have you been to Kentucky?

Latest Activity in Kentucky