"Ironbridge Gorge" Top 5 Page for this destination Ironbridge by Krumlovgirl
Ironbridge Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 198 photos
I visited the town of Ironbridge, located in the Ironbridge Gorge, while I stayed in Shropshire. It is home to the first iron bridge (hence the name) and sometimes referred to as the birthplace of the industrial revolution. The gorge is home to several communities such as Coalbrookdale, Ironbridge, Jackfield and Coalport. The town of Ironbridge itself is very picturesque with lots of little shops and restaurants lining the scenic river. The bridge, a marvel in its time, is the centerpiece in Ironbridge and is good for a nice stroll. There are several museums in the area.
• Through the eighteenth century Coalbrookdale was at the heart of an engineering revolution.
• Abraham Darby I’s original patent for casting "iron bellied ware" was a breakthrough in mass production.
• His successful experiments in smelting iron with coke lead eventually to cheap and plentiful iron.
• The engineers of the Gorge used iron to make the first iron railways carrying the first iron wheeled trucks.
• Great engineers such as Boulton and Watt came to the Gorge to get their steam engine cylinders cast.
• The great Iron Bridge itself showed the engineering potential of the new material.
• The foundations of the great age of iron and steam had been laid and transformed Britain into the world’s first industrialised country
• A contemporary sketch of the Iron Bridge under construction has recently come to light in Sweden.
• Each rib was cast in two 6 ton pieces and was winched upright to produce a self-supporting arch.
• A survey on the Iron Bridge in 2000 shed light on how these ribs were put together — the casting techniques appear to have developed and changed as the Bridge was being built.
• Total construction cost was just over £6,000 of which £15 was for a celebratory beer on its completion.
If you can overlook the cheesy name, this is a good ice cream place near the base of the bridge. Although we went with a... more travel advice
Written Apr 23, 2006
Pictures of the Bridge
Written Apr 23, 2006
Pictures Around the Town
Krumlovgirl's Related Pages
Ironbridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ironbridge: Cradle of the Industrial Revolution"
- "Ironbridge - Birthplace of Industry"
- "Ironbridge Gorge"
- "Ironbridge - Jewel in the Midlands"
- "Cast Iron Crossing"
- "Ironbridge...A pretty village."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ironbridge
- Hotels in Ironbridge
- Transportation in Ironbridge
- Restaurants in Ironbridge
- Shopping in Ironbridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ironbridge
- 2 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Ironbridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ironbridge
Photos in IronbridgeSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Richmond Intro, 90 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington Intro, 47 reviews, 104 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky Intro, 26 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 42 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berea Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lampeter Intro, 8 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 9 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues