"Cashel" Top 5 Page for this destination Cashel by Krumlovgirl
Cashel Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 282 photos
So most people in the United States can trace at least one branch back to Ireland. My family (the Dyers) is traced back to Cashel. Oddly enough, I didn’t know this until I had spent about a day in Cashel already. I definitely felt a connection with it, though. Despite the fact that the world famous Rock of Cashel is located here, it wasn’t overrun with tourists. We had the Hore Abbey to ourselves one evening (okay, so we climbed over the gate and went in on our own) but we didn’t encounter that many tourists at the Rock the next day either.
The Rock of Cashel is an amazing site and if you come into town by bus from the north you will see it before you get to the town. It’s a huge castle (mostly in ruins) on top of, well, a rock. But the bigness of it is overwhelming. Not the way that Neuswanstein is overwhelming, granted, but still overwhelming in its own right. The castle itself was the seat of kings and medieval bishops for nearly nine hundred years, although the area dates back to before Christian times. Most everything is gone from that time period, however. Darn Christians. In 1101, it was handed over to the church where it flourished as a religious center until it was laid siege to by Oliver Cromwell's army's in 1647, which killed more than 3000 people. Darn Cromwellians.
The Hore Abbey was founded in 1266 and abandoned around the 1700s. It was never a very prosperous abbey and in the 15th century had a population of only five. We still liked it though. It was nice to have a place to ourselves.
The cathedral is a 13th century Gothic structure that overshadows the other ruins. Rising over the center of the... more travel advice
Absolutely loved this hostel. My kind of place. The hosts were wonderful and the entire hostel was inviting. Clean,... more travel advice
Krumlovgirl's Related Pages
Cashel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cashel - Co. Tipperary"
- "Cashel, a royal town"
- "City of Kings"
- "Cashel, Co. Tipperary."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cashel
- Hotels in Cashel
- Transportation in Cashel
- Nightlife in Cashel
- Restaurants in Cashel
- Shopping in Cashel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cashel
- 4 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Cashel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cashel
Photos in CashelSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Richmond Intro, 90 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington Intro, 47 reviews, 104 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky Intro, 26 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 42 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berea Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 21 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lampeter Intro, 8 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 9 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues