"Cashel" Top 5 Page for this destination Cashel by Krumlovgirl

Cashel Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 282 photos

So most people in the United States can trace at least one branch back to Ireland. My family (the Dyers) is traced back to Cashel. Oddly enough, I didn’t know this until I had spent about a day in Cashel already. I definitely felt a connection with it, though. Despite the fact that the world famous Rock of Cashel is located here, it wasn’t overrun with tourists. We had the Hore Abbey to ourselves one evening (okay, so we climbed over the gate and went in on our own) but we didn’t encounter that many tourists at the Rock the next day either.

The Rock of Cashel is an amazing site and if you come into town by bus from the north you will see it before you get to the town. It’s a huge castle (mostly in ruins) on top of, well, a rock. But the bigness of it is overwhelming. Not the way that Neuswanstein is overwhelming, granted, but still overwhelming in its own right. The castle itself was the seat of kings and medieval bishops for nearly nine hundred years, although the area dates back to before Christian times. Most everything is gone from that time period, however. Darn Christians. In 1101, it was handed over to the church where it flourished as a religious center until it was laid siege to by Oliver Cromwell's army's in 1647, which killed more than 3000 people. Darn Cromwellians.

The Hore Abbey was founded in 1266 and abandoned around the 1700s. It was never a very prosperous abbey and in the 15th century had a population of only five. We still liked it though. It was nice to have a place to ourselves.

• Last visit to Cashel: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2005

Krumlovgirl

“I dream of a better tomorrow when chickens can cross the road without having their movtives questioned.”

Badges & Stats in Cashel