"A little bit of Greece in Florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarpon Springs by Erin09340
Tarpon Springs Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 134 photos
Tarpon Springs is an interesting town. It's located in Pinellas County, just north of Palm Harbor. The town has a very large Greek population and one can see their influence everywhere from the language taught in the schools, the biggest epiphany celebration outside Greece, and a thriving fishing and sponging industry. In fact, Tarpon Springs High School (where I attended) has a Sponger for their mascot.
In one of the Greek Orthodox churches, one can find an icon that cried a few years ago. Lots of people made pilgrammages to Tarpon Springs for that miracle. My mother (who taught at Tarpon Springs Middle School) told me a story of a gentleman whose son was dying of a brain tumor. He prayed to St. Michael to save his son, promising to build a beautiful church in his honor. His son was saved and the church was built.
Along the main street in Tarpon, one can find many restaurants, from Mykonos and Santorini, to the Plaka and Pappas' (where my sister had her wedding reception). There are a couple of bakeries serving the most delicious pastries and desserts.
One will also find stores selling those very charming Florida knick-knacks and souveniers. You can also pick up a sponge or twenty.
- In a nutshell:A fun way to spend the afternoon and eat some yummy goodies
There is a bakery down the street from the Mykonos and Santorini Restaurants. It's famous for their desserts. You can... more travel advice
Erin09340's Related Pages
Tarpon Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Florida's Greek Fishing Village and Sponge Docks"
- "Tarpon Springs - A Greek town not on the Med"
- "tarpon springs florida"
- "A little bit of Greece in Florida"
- "ZenGator's Tarpon Springs Briefing"
- "Tarpon Springs"
- "Sponge Divers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarpon Springs
- Hotels in Tarpon Springs
- Transportation in Tarpon Springs
- Nightlife in Tarpon Springs
- Restaurants in Tarpon Springs
- Shopping in Tarpon Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarpon Springs
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Tarpon Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarpon Springs
Top 10 Pages
- County Kerry Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Springs Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 19 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wyoming Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Lucia Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bodensee Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.