Kootenay National Park Off The Beaten Path Tips by zrim
Kootenay National Park Off The Beaten Path: 8 reviews and 8 photos
a groundsel of some variety
These little guys are tiny flowers with heads measuring about 15 milimeters. Groundsels are sometimes referred to as butterweeds.
We did not find fireweed on the Fireweed Trail. I suspect that it was still too early in the season at that high altitude. However, we did find fireweed in the Kootenay Valley off of the Simpson's River Trail. Fireweed gets its name because it is one of the first plants that springs to life in the aftermath of a burn. Fireweed even appeared in London a year after bombings in World War II. Like many other wildflowers, fireweed is edible and can be brewed into a tea.
Build me up buttercup
The mountain vistas are magnificant--of that, there can be no doubt. But the meadows and woodland also provide a splendid habitat for wildflowers of all shapes, sizes and colors. This photo portrays the Shrubby Cinquefoil.
A delicate little thing indeed. But the medicinal qualities are most potent. For instance, if you should have intestinal worms--try brewing up a pot of Mountain Blue-Eyed-Grass tea. That should expel those nasty critters.
Surprisingly the Labrador Tea is not a wildflower but an evergreen shrub! No matter, it is still one of the prettiest flowering plants in the forest. As implied by the name, Labrador Tea can be brewed and steeped to make a drinkable tea. However, excessive amounts cause drowsiness and may stimulate urination (I've not known a liquid when taken in excessive amounts that did not stimulate urination).
a sunburst of daisies
I suppose daisies are common just about everywhere, but it was still a photographical sight to come upon a field of wild daisies sprouting up hither and yon without being reigned in by a gardner.
One neat aspect of the new camera is the ability to focus on a close object while the remainder of the field is blurred like an impressionist painting. I thought that this lily pasture would be a good spot to try this type of photograph. I think it turned out pretty well (although it is difficult to see what I mean with the small VT scale photos.)
Wood lily roots have medicinal uses as treatment for stomach ailments, coughs and even as a salve for open wounds.
A pretty perennial found in shady mounatin spots from Wyoming to Alberta and BC.
I started photographing wildflowers on this trip for the first time because I finally have a camera that is versatile enough to take photos in the shade as well as bright light and that can focus on close-up objects as well as distant landscapes. I had a lot of fun seeking out different types of wildflowers
More Reviews (38)
zrim's Related Pages
Kootenay National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Minute and the Majestic"
- "THE BEAUTIFUL KOOTENAYS"
- "Kootenay National Park of Canada"
- "Canyons and Hot Springs"
- "Kootenay National Park"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hampi Hotels
- Rabanal del Camino Hotels
- Carnforth Hotels
- Hanalei Hotels
- Martina Franca
- Las Negras
- Oxford Off The Beaten Path
- Shockoe Bottom
- excursions from Vienna
- Kirkenes Off The Beaten Path
- Vis Off The Beaten Path
- Day trips: Sintra, Cascais, Alcochete...
- Outside Moscow
- Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu) Off The Beaten Path
- County Clare Off The Beaten Path
- Solvang Off The Beaten Path
- South America Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Kootenay National Park
- 46 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Kootenay National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kootenay National Park
Photos in Kootenay National ParkSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 90 reviews, 108 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kootenay National Park Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Northfield Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 33 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Dakota Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos