"An authentic boomtown" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia City by zrim
Virginia City Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 94 photos
Even on the eve of the Civil War Americans turned their thoughts to get rich schemes. After the California gold rush in the 1840s that usually meant mining (gold, silver, copper and even lead). In 1859 the motherlode (the Comstock lode) was discovered in Six-Mile Canyon in the high desert of Nevada. Overnight Virginia City was incorporated in Storey County, Nevada and before the silver rush ended the town boasted that it had over 33,000 inhabitants including one fellow who would become quite famous in his own right, Mark Twain.
Thomas Hobbes, in Leviathan wrote. 'No arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear and... more travel advice
This restored building is actually the third reincarnation of Piper's Opera House. The first was built in 1862 and... more travel advice
zrim's Related Pages
Virginia City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An authentic boomtown"
- "The Original Virginia City"
- "A Town of Old Memories"
- "Veins of Silver (and a camel too)"
- "Virginia City"
- "v i r g i n i a c i t y"
- "KoreanBeauty's new Virginia City Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virginia City
- Hotels in Virginia City
- Transportation in Virginia City
- Nightlife in Virginia City
- Restaurants in Virginia City
- Shopping in Virginia City
- Warnings and Dangers in Virginia City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Virginia City
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Virginia City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virginia City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Heckling Tiger Woods"
- Wrote a Review For many it was a true Hobbesian experience in Virginia City Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "For many it was a true Hobbesian experience"
- updated a Virginia City Travel Page "An authentic boomtown"
- Commented on one of Geoff_Wright's Virginia City travel pages
Photos in Virginia CitySee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 90 reviews, 108 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kootenay National Park Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Northfield Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 33 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Dakota Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos