"The badlands of North Dakota" Top 5 Page for this destination Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park by zrim

There are two distinct units of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The South Unit lies along interstate 94 and many cross-country travelors stop to stretch their legs, take a whiz in the visitor center and maybe snap a photo or two. That's what my parents and I did in 1986 as we traveled across the northern U.S. to attend my sister's wedding in Seattle. At the time--it was my first experience with a national park....and it lasted ten minutes.

Flash forward seventeen years and Theodore Roosevelt National Park lie directly in our path as Becky and I struck out for the Canadian Rockies. This time I insisted that we explore not only the South Unit, but also the more remote North Unit which is an hour and a half drive north from the interstate. We arrived at the park about 6:30 a.m. and left the North Unit at about 4:00 p.m. We saw plenty of animals, took a couple great hikes and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Pros:Remote, few visitors especially in the North Unit
  • In a nutshell:Peaceful
  • Last visit to Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 25, 2003

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 8:26 AM

I booked our August flight to Rapid City this morning - we are staying in Dickinson for two nights as a base for sightseeing TRNM - that will make 48 states -2 to go! Best Wishes from Augusta, GA.

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2005 at 9:01 AM

Great pictures! Makes me wish we could go back right now.

• JosM's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2004 at 3:30 PM

Very accurate description of the park's geology. Beautiful pics too!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2004 at 10:18 AM

Yes, the North Dakota Badlands are greener than their South Dakota counterparts. I spent two fascinating days there when my brother was living in Dickinson. Your tips are well done.

• pipsqueak's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2004 at 11:39 AM

Teddy Roosevelt credited his time in North Dakota with instilling in him the qualities needed to be President, maybe we should make it a pre-requisite!

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2004 at 8:14 AM

Will happy to come and check out your buffalo, bears 'n' bobcats ... but a wild BLANE... you have to be kidding! (ps we do have buffalo in Europe... not many... but we do have them)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2003 at 2:17 PM

These buffalos look great and I think it is a pity, the old dimes with a buffalo on the backside have totally disappeared... some at least disappeared into my souvenirs !

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 9:03 AM

You should read TR's hunting accounts from this ranch. Although I don't wholeheartedly support blowing away these majestic creatures, TR and I had loves in common - the rugged wilderness.

zrim

“I'm thirsty”

Badges & Stats in Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park

Have you been to Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park?

Latest Activity in Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park