"Just as expected" Great Smoky Mountains National Park by zrim

Admittedly I did not do the Great Smoky Mountain National Park justice by running through it in just one day's time. Several of the less traveled roads were still closed due to winter conditions. And I did not see much blue sky.

But I am used to being overwhelmed by our National Parks. The Great Smoky park left me....well, lets just say I was whelmed, but not overly so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the most visited National Park in the United States. There are enough trails to keep a hiker occupied for weeks. In the spring the wildflowers are plentiful. And if you are lucky you can see wildlife including bears. But Great Smoky, in my opinion, does not equal the great western parks like Yosemite or Glacier.

• Last visit to Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Mar 2004
  • Intro Written Apr 23, 2004

• Jan 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I have seen the park in spring & fall & always found it beautiful! You should ck weather before your trip. And remember the reason they are called the GREAT SMOKY Mountains. See the Blue Ridge Parkway and some of the parks there...they're beautiful.

• poeticview23's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Thanks for the detail on the months to go to see the flowers! Just what I was looking for.

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 6:34 AM

Nice page. Greetings.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Good page on the Great Smoky Mountains. I haven't been to this particular park, but in general, the Appalachain Mts aren't at their best in winter.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 4:28 AM

Nice liitle page on the GSNP Phil. Good pictures. Its the only other Eastern Park I want to visit.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 5:08 AM

A single day is iffy in any park. For me, the deer didn't measure up but the scenery and the old homesteads were nice pluses.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 5:32 PM

Too bad you didn't enjoy Great Smoky more. I've never been, but your assessment is in line with my own thinking about the park. Check out Rocky Mountain NP in Colorado or Grand Teton NP in Wyoming. You won't be disappointed by the weather or scenery.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 5:13 PM

Visited here on my first honeymoon -- lost the husband, but never the memories of a super place to visit!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2004 at 1:56 PM

Very nice page with secret pictures. Interesting opinion in intro. Anyway I would like to visit NPs of more civilized area of the US :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2004 at 1:30 PM

What a great mountain-scenery & lovely pics ! - Wouldn't that be the right place to build your castle and ask for tolls and taxes from the tourists passing by...??? ;-)

zrim

“I'm thirsty”

Badges & Stats in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Have you been to Great Smoky Mountains National Park?