"Make a Pilgrimage to California's Missions" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano by zrim

San Juan Capistrano Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 469 photos

The most likely reason for a stop in San Juan Capistrani is for a visit to its lovely and historic mission. The mission was founded in 1776 by Father Junipero Serra. At the time California was still Spanish territory and the Franciscan padres were aggressively attempting to convert the indigenous peoples. In California alone, they constructed 21 missions such as the one found at San Juan Capistrano.

• Pros:serenity
  • Cons:tour groups
  • In a nutshell:beautiful gardens
  • Last visit to San Juan Capistrano: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2004

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2005 at 3:46 AM

I enjoyed your great discription of the town and the excellent tips. Sadly I will not be there at the right time to see the swallows either.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2005 at 10:48 PM

HI Zrim, I am on the Board of the Mission SJC & serve as a Docent ,giving tours to 4th graders.Loved your GREAT pictures, pages & tips! If you were a local I would try to recruit you :)

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 7:43 AM

Hi Phil, I just got back from SJC. Your pages reflect the spirit of the town. Very nice! Kat

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2004 at 7:09 PM

nice intro. will visit soon

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2004 at 9:57 PM

I enjoyed your page on San Juan, it's a lovely place to visit and I'm ready to go back.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2004 at 12:53 PM

I was taken aback myself at the shopping tip, but the belltower photo at the parish church is. . .worldtrekkeresque.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2004 at 8:50 AM

Phil, I admire the attention you pay to detail and thoroughness. Your photographs are outstanding. It's a perfect package!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 12:04 PM

What an interesting place & great pics ! ..that chicken-waitress certainly makes a great shopping-tip !! ;-))

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2004 at 3:07 PM

Nice page and photos. Isn't the mission just beautiful?!

zrim

“I'm thirsty”

Badges & Stats in San Juan Capistrano

Have you been to San Juan Capistrano?

Latest Activity in San Juan Capistrano