"Worth the Effort" Top 5 Page for this destination Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument by zrim

It takes some doing to get here. From Tucson it is about two and a half hours via a two lane highway through sparsely populated desert.

To enjoy the park it will take at least half a day of immersion into the desert. This is not a park for those who only wish to see flashy sights. It is the nuances of the desert that make this place special.

• Last visit to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument: Mar 2003
  • Intro Written Mar 29, 2003

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 6:15 AM

Nice page on this little known park. I like all the flower photos.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 10:53 PM

Some interesting stuff. I didn't visit Organ Pipe Cactus NM but Saguaro NP close to Tucson and it looked similar there. I wonder which place is better from the visitor's point of view.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 11:36 AM

Amazing place -- I'm with you on the TB chollas -- they are not nice:(

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 10:28 AM

Great page! You're right--so desolate but so beautiful. I was there when the desert was in bloom as well. A girl I was traveling w/ was bouldering & stuck her hand in a teddy bear cholla @ Anza Borrego--same trip. Not pleasant. Lost my pics to heat.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2004 at 4:45 AM

they call it Teddy Bear Cholla and its all mean and spiky and nasty, not cuddly ?.......LOL and to think someone told me that Americans dont understand irony...........

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2003 at 8:39 AM

Excellent page on this beautiful park! Thanks to you, my knowledge on cactus is increasing!! Thanks for visiting my Big Bend page. I'll keep you informed of when it is finihed...

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2003 at 11:10 PM

Wow a photo of a quail! I've tried several times and have Never gotten a photo of one!! Like you said they move to much! I'd love to see those huge cactus!! I've been to Arizona but somehow never saw them!

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2003 at 8:24 AM

Very interesting. They have many cactus in Lanzarote and have an interesting cactus garden there.

• Jul 26, 2003 at 7:24 PM

Phil, had I known about your traveling experiences sooner in life, I would have been able to save myself the thousands of dollars I spent on college. Education through experiencing life is more valuable than any piece of paper issued by a university.

• Seabiscuit's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2003 at 1:22 AM

Phil - Amazing page.... very well done! (And I've been here!) Jeff-

zrim

“I'm thirsty”

Badges & Stats in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Have you been to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument?

Latest Activity in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument