"North America's northernmost ice free port" Top 5 Page for this destination Valdez by zrim

Valdez Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 182 photos

Ice free, meaning that the port does not freeze over in the wintertime, but not glacier free or iceberg free. The Columbia Glacier continually calves ice into Prince William Sound which can make for perilous boating for the unwary.

• Last visit to Valdez: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 6, 2004

• May 12, 2006 at 9:43 AM

I like the whale watching tip... so true. Hours of boredom punctuated by a sudden rush of excitement when you see the spray.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 9:48 AM

Great photos and tips of Seward and Valdez. I won't tell my friends that the best thing about SWD is the drive there :)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2005 at 12:05 PM

Love the wildlife, especially the sea otters. I missed seeing a whale when I was in Prince William Sound.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 9:48 AM

Nice job!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2004 at 9:36 AM

Very interesting info and amazing pictures on the wildlife... not so cold destination as I thought. I would like to see it in person someday...

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 5:54 PM

Great sea otter photos! Yes, good to know they are still out there - I had heard reports of what the Orcas were doing to them! Whale watching is something everyone should try!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 5:10 PM

great pics of the wildlife, Phil ! ...obviously these otters are less shy than the ones I met in Scotland, and was not able to catch them with my 400mm lens :-(((

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 11:49 AM

I wouldn't want to witness an Orca's seal dinner in process.. Its all natural and beautiful I know but still....

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2004 at 7:20 PM

Seen two otters in my lifetime (one MT, one FL). Seen a few whales but no flukes or breaching. Been in the hands of a deep sea captain before but never one to gun his motor. Nice experience for me. . glad the otters are back in force.

zrim