Corcovado National Park Local Custom Tips by zrim Top 5 Page for this destination
Corcovado National Park Local Customs: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Costa Rica's Numero Uno Bird
Costa Rica is a country that boasts more varieties of birds than Mexico, Canada and the U.S. combined. All manner of brilliantly colored tropical birds call Costa Rica home. But for my money, the Scarlet Macaw wins the bird pageant. It is so very pretty with its red, blue and yellow plumage. But more than that, it is an intelligent animal that rivals a dog as far as smarts. Further, studies have shown that the Scarlet Macaw mates for life.
The macaws are very cognizant of human interlopers in their territories. But rather than put up a fuss as a redwing blackbird or a crow might, the Scarlet Macaw puts on a show. When our plane landed in Corcovado the first thing we saw was a pair of macaws making a flyover the airfield. I am firmly convinced that the Scarlet Macaw knows exactly how beautiful a bird that it is and he (or she) is perfectly willing to announce to any stranger that he (or she) has entered the land of the brilliant Macaws.
Unfortunately, human activity has encroached too much on the natural territories of the Scarlet Macaws and they are endangered. They once were plentiful on all Costa Rican coasts. But know they have pretty much been limited to the Osa Peninsula. Just one more reason to include Corcovado on the Costa Rican itinerary.
There are more birds than people in Corcovado and that is a good thing. We settled into our tent, opened the flaps and immediately sighted a bluegray tanager chirping a welcome to us from the palm tree in our front yard. We chirped a hello back at him. Always a good idea to get off on the right foot with the locals.
More Reviews (11)
zrim's Related Pages
Corcovado National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Special Way to Bring In the New Year"
- "Corcovado National Park - Spectacular"
- "Parque Nacional Corcovado"
- "The last frontier."
- "Sirena to Carate Day Hike"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corcovado National Park
- Hotels in Corcovado National Park
- Transportation in Corcovado National Park
- Nightlife in Corcovado National Park
- Restaurants in Corcovado National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Corcovado National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pell City
- Rurberg Hotels
- Mark West Springs Hotels
- Salinas Hotels
- Province of Aurora
- Bassano del Grappa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Corcovado National Park
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Corcovado National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corcovado National Park
Photos in Corcovado National ParkSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 90 reviews, 108 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kootenay National Park Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Northfield Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 33 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Dakota Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (47)
Latest Corcovado National Park hotel reviews
- Lapa Rios Ecolodge
- 262 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013