"I've been to Timbuktu, have you?" Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu by zrim

Timbuktu Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 399 photos

Wow! Timbuktu or Tombouctou. the fabled and mysterious city. The end of the road. The ultimate off the beaten path destination. Putting the "lonely" in Lonely planet. It is still hard for me to believe that I made it to Timbuktu (and made it back!) A once in a lifetime experience....and really once is more than enough.

• Pros:it is just one of those must sees on the lifelong list
  • Cons:it is difficult and expensive to visit
  • In a nutshell:sand, sand and more sand
  • Last visit to Timbuktu: Dec 2004
  • Intro Written May 20, 2005

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Good to see your pictures of Timbuktu. Must be a long journey, and dusty. Is the land mostly flat? What time of year were you there? Greetings from John in Mahwah NJ

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 9:54 PM

So you went independently - can i do that or should i go by tour if i go as a solo traveller?(too expensive!) guess i should find a partner!but thanks for leading the way!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 8:25 AM

Timbuktu! It sounds adventurous.

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 11:43 AM

Wow ..this is one to chalk up!!! Nada

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2006 at 9:48 PM

Well, the edifice in intro picture look fabtastic I've tajen your opinion: one is enough.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2006 at 6:44 AM

Timbuktu! I'm jealous.

• cmthomas's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 6:49 PM

This year I have dragged my poor wife first to Machu Picchu then to Lhasa, Tibet. But she has put her foot down at going to Timbuktu! Can you imagine why?

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2005 at 2:45 PM

I might find the place interesting but the heat would put me off. The boat trip sounds tempting.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 10:44 PM

Fancy that Phil !! Couldn't resist a peek and I even had to get my Atlas out!! Well thanx to you I've learn't something new today :o) What an experience!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 2:20 AM

A/C w/o DC. I hate when that happens. Quite the destination, Phil, and interesting tips to boot.

zrim

“I'm thirsty”

Badges & Stats in Timbuktu

Have you been to Timbuktu?

Latest Activity in Timbuktu