"Pleasant, but don't dawdle here" Top 5 Page for this destination San José by zrim

San José Travel Guide: 525 reviews and 875 photos

By default most visitors to Costa Rica will spend some time in San Jose since it is home to the one major airport in the country. It has very pleasant weather due to its relatively high elevation (around 3000 feet). But the city itself is not all that exciting. It was made the capital city shortly after Costa Rica gained its independence in the 1830s. Therefore, San Jose does not really have the impressive old Spanish colonial style buildings. There are a few monuments, a couple of little parks and the usual skyscrapers. Downtown you will find crowds and diesel fumes. San Jose is fine for a quick exploration, but I would advise against scheduling any more than an afternoon in the city. The real charm of Costa Rica is found in the countryside.

• Last visit to San José: Jan 2004
  • Intro Written Feb 1, 2004

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2006 at 6:50 PM

Thanks for honest opinions. It's not a dream destination, I see but, anyway, there is something to see in San Jose.

• Mar 18, 2006 at 4:49 PM

This isn't just a town or village stadium, this Saprissa, the most famous stadium in costa Rcia. This is where the national team plays against other countries. Saprissa is a good team as well. I liked your pictures of Costa Rica especially Corcovado.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2005 at 6:47 AM

From your pictures I'd have to say I certainly agree with your assessment of the city--too bad it doesn't have more charm.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2004 at 8:23 PM

Christmas in Costa Rica. How appropriate that I should click up these pages tonight. Interesting stuff.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2004 at 1:37 PM

Great page Phil and honest opinion about this city. After all the fantastic spots you've visited, this doesn't look one of them. But I like this page because you honestly tell how your impression is of the place.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2004 at 8:10 AM

Wonderful to see these pictures, bringing back a lot of memories of my short stays before heading east, west and north.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2004 at 5:09 PM

Super page Phil. Personally I really liked the Gold Museum but it looks like you did not make there.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2004 at 3:37 PM

an interesting page and nice pics ! but somehow I have to say I prefer the wilderness and rain-forests to the cities !

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2004 at 3:03 PM

Excellent page - from the cut coin. (Love your new motto.)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2004 at 11:40 AM

I don't usually comment on my own pages. But answering Robert's question: Costa Rica is not an impoverished nation. It is the most affluent in Central America and its people are justifiably proud of their country.

zrim

“I'm thirsty”

Badges & Stats in San José

Have you been to San José?