"The Village and the Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero by zrim
Tortuguero Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 325 photos
Tortuguero is a small fishing village in the far northwest corner of Costa Rica located on a narrow spit of land between the Caribbean Sea and the Tortuguero Canal. The village is only 10-15 miles from the border with Nicaragua. Tortuguero is also the name given to the National Park (190 sq km) that was established in 1975. Ideally, VT would have separate entities for the village and the park since, strictly speaking, the village lies outside of the park boundaries to the north. But it does not, so I will combine my village and park experiences on one page--though the sights were vastly different.
A maze of brown muddy waterways through lush tropical jungle. The best way to spot wildlife is to troll lazily in a flat-bottomed boat. But canoe or kayak is also an option.
- Pros:a region isolated from roads and highways
- Cons:it is one of the poorer regions in Costa Rica
- In a nutshell:Rain!
What a fantastic place! The Tortuguero Lodge is located right on the banks of the Tortuguero Canal and right on the... more travel advice
Spider monkeys can be about four feet long, but most of that is tail (two-thirds). The monkeys are slender, long-limbed... more travel advice
zrim's Related Pages
Tortuguero Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Village and the Park"
- "This is it!"
- "Rain Forest Visits"
- "Undeniably unforgetable & unique!"
- "Turtle spotting"
- "The Lonely Hunter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tortuguero
- Hotels in Tortuguero
- Transportation in Tortuguero
- Nightlife in Tortuguero
- Restaurants in Tortuguero
- Shopping in Tortuguero
- Warnings and Dangers in Tortuguero
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tortuguero
- 33 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Tortuguero?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tortuguero
Photos in TortugueroSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 90 reviews, 108 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kootenay National Park Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Northfield Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 33 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Dakota Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos