"The Village and the Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero by zrim

Tortuguero Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 325 photos

A village of laughing children and scampering dogs

Tortuguero is a small fishing village in the far northwest corner of Costa Rica located on a narrow spit of land between the Caribbean Sea and the Tortuguero Canal. The village is only 10-15 miles from the border with Nicaragua. Tortuguero is also the name given to the National Park (190 sq km) that was established in 1975. Ideally, VT would have separate entities for the village and the park since, strictly speaking, the village lies outside of the park boundaries to the north. But it does not, so I will combine my village and park experiences on one page--though the sights were vastly different.

Parque National Tortuguero

A maze of brown muddy waterways through lush tropical jungle. The best way to spot wildlife is to troll lazily in a flat-bottomed boat. But canoe or kayak is also an option.

• Pros:a region isolated from roads and highways
  • Cons:it is one of the poorer regions in Costa Rica
  • In a nutshell:Rain!
  • Last visit to Tortuguero: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 2:54 PM

You got to see a lot of different animals, great to see them in the wild.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Wow, such beautiful pictures of those birds and animals! Great! That is a why I would love to go to Costa Rica also!

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 7:01 PM

nice page and tips. i am heading there tomorrow, overland. but first I have to reach San Jose - bus from Managua leaves at 4 am! do u know if it is common to see the turtles nest?

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Love all your animal/bird pics. You seem like a real nature lover like myself. thanks for sharing!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 9:40 PM

great page!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Would be some time before I get here, so in mean time I will just do arm chair travelling. thanks ;-)

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 10:27 AM

Very impressive pages! Will come back when my PC is working OK.It just slowed down to a snails pace. Back to rate the rest later...Greetings from Hungary.Tim

• hundwalder's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2005 at 7:06 PM

Excellent wildlife photos and tips. I like your intamacy with the places you visit.

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 10:03 AM

Nice page and another set of great photographs. I really enjoyed the local customs section. I don't know if I will make it as far as Tortuguero on my trip to Costa Rica, but I wish I am.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2005 at 7:47 AM

Good introduction to my trip to Tortuguero NP. I hope to see all those animals too.

zrim

“I'm thirsty”

Badges & Stats in Tortuguero

Have you been to Tortuguero?

Latest Activity in Tortuguero