"Traveling the World with Zrim" zrim's Profile
All photos on all of my VT pages were taken by me (except my wedding photo which is buried deep in the boondox of my VT world). I don't use postcards or copyrighted material. Everything is in my own words unless specifically marked with " ". I don't mean to be a curmudgeon, but VT is only fun if we share our own experiences and insights.
I love to shoot photos of wildlife. I can't always get out to the woods. But I always have the camera ready at home in case an interesting bird (or woodchuck) ventures into the backyard.
But I am also interested in trying to capture culture on film. This is very difficult because I am generally shy about approaching people. Therefore, I am armed with telephoto lenses when I venture out to find my human subjects.
One of my travel passions is to find wildlife in its natural setting. Birds, bears, alligators, coyotes, turtles....it doesn't matter, they are all fantastic to observe.
Unfortunately, animals are losing out as people continue to encroach and cut down their habitats. A world without wildlife would indeed be a lonely place.
I'm always amazed by the craftmanship in older structures. It used to be that cathedrals, castles, bridges, temples, capitals and palaces were built to last. Now it seems as if we are content to build something and tear it down a few decades later.
I never tire of exploring old castles and cathedrals or wandering about the "old towns" of European cities. The best is when the castle or abbey has a beer garden and the weary travelor can sit down with a pint and reflect on the wonderments just seen.
Some of the best times I have while traveling are the meals I share with my wife Becky at the end of a long day. We try to find a nice cozy restaraunt. Not a place that overwhelms, but a place where the food is good and the atmosphere is intimate. Eating well and drinking the local wines (or beer if in the tropics) is the perfect way to wind up a day of travel.
Quoting Joseph Campbell:
"But if we do go somewhere, we should learn as much as we can about the place, including the language, the arts, the myths. That's how we learn to see past the artificial divisions of nations and cultures. When we discover what we have in common with others we learn how to demystify the stranger--and may even stop turning our neighbors into enemies. Eventually, we learn compassion, which is the real teaching in all of the ancient traditions."
I spend a lot of time plotting new travel adventures and I thoroughly enjoy all my travels. However, for me, the best part of any trip is the return to my home. I am most content when I am at home puttering around with Becky and the dogs close at hand.
When I am not updating my VT pages, I am reading. I manage to work through about three books a week. That is peanuts compared to Becky, also known as the book monster, who averages about a book a day. I enjoy American regional writing. I am going to build a book album on this page to honor my favorites.
This is where 98% of my VT pages get written (every once in a great while, I'll add a tip or two at work). This room has developed into one of my favorite hangouts.
Immediately over the desk is an ink drawing of Venice. On the left is an Escher print mounted on wood. To the right (and out of sight) is the sunporch which definitely is my favorite springtime hangout.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,665 Reviews
- 2,144 Photos
- 22 Countries
- 148 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
- zrim and hawt are now friends.
- created a Egypt Travel Page "Egypt on the Eve of Revolution"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Egypt on the Eve of Revolution"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Heckling Tiger Woods"
updated their Personal Page "Travel Plans"
- Commented on one of hundwalder's Mikulov travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Last Albatross in Galápagos Islands Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 90 reviews, 108 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kootenay National Park Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Northfield Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 33 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Dakota Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22467 Reviews - 54994 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Berlin Hotels
- 6983 Reviews - 15645 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23319 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5858 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos