"Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Vallarta by jamiesno

Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide: 1,144 reviews and 1,983 photos

Quick Synopsis

I travelded to Puerto Vallarta with wife Holly, her twin sister and her husband Jamie. Yes I know, that is funny! Danette and Jamie already had the all inclusive packaged booked and we just signed up not knowing where we were going to at all!

Well we trekked across Canada and flew south from Edmonton, Alberta and we were happy with the adventure to say the least. It was very relaxing and I think everyone should take the time out to enjoy the sun and beach like this more often!

I tried my best to explore around and experience the culture the best I could but this trip was without a doubt more laid back oriented! Here is some stuff I did discover.

PV is located in the "Bahia de Banderas" meaning Bay of Flags.

Back in the 1500's the Bay was named the "Bahia de Banderas" (Bay of Flags) by a Spanish sea adventurer who's arrival was greeted by thousands of natives waving feathered flags.

The area surrounding the Bay was on time called "Ciutla" (meaning feathers and grassland) by the Indians until about 1850, when Guadalupe Sanchez Torres, a salt-shipper from inland Jalisco, decided to move his family to live here. He named the small fishing village "Las Penas de Santa Maria de Guadalupe" because the day that he arrived (December 12) marked the day of the traditional celebration and procession honoring the Virgin of Guadalupe, which continues to be a tradition today.

By 1900, Las Penas had grown to nearly 2000 residents, and in 1918, it became a municipality and was named "Puerto Vallarta" after Ignacio Vallarta, the former Governor of the State of Jalisco.

So as you can see this was not a planned resort, the city has a lot of history. It wasn't until the 1960s when Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton filmed "The Night of the Iguana" that things changed here in Puerto Vallarta :-)

Thoughts on Puerto Vallarta

Visit my Mexico page where I highlighted the people of Mexico who were friendly, kind and give you a much better picture of what life is like in Mexico.

I strongly recommend you take a genuine interest in talking to them and you will tap into a wealth of information!

The sun sets at Puerto Vallarta were amazing every day at about 6:00 pm. You can beleive this was the view from our room!! Right on the beach was amazing, listening to the waves all night.

I have a special travelogue dedicated to the great sun sets! I hope you enjoy!!

Puerto Vallarta offers endless opportunities for excursions, I recommend Los Arcos, Las Animas and Quiximto!

You can check out my extra travelogue of an excursion to Quiximto!

• Pros:The sunset, Flamingo Beach, Los Arcos, the food, people and the peso!
  • In a nutshell:Simply the best beach and sunset I have ever seen!
  • Last visit to Puerto Vallarta: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2004

• Jan 14, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I saw the same thing while wading near Riu Jalisco. Needless to say I quickly retreated from the water, and wonder the same thing! It swam right around my ankles. My husband noticed it also.

• May 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

possession of small amounts of several drugs including marijuana, for personal use, are now legal in mexico - i believe it's up to 5 grams. just enacted and signed this month.

• May 15, 2009 at 6:31 AM

This church looks amazingly beautiful. I really want to see it in person. I'm putting Our Lady in my novel so I'm researching.

• May 10, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Hi, question for you. As an older female traveling solo, is it safe to take taxis to downtown and elsewhere? Thank you so much. m

• Apr 22, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Can you walk to malecon from the cruise ship dock?

• Mar 1, 2008 at 9:03 PM

I saw this artist. I also bought a few pieces. I got one that was about 8x10 and a couple smaller pieces . Does anyone know the name of the artist? I cant really read the signature on the painting i bought. and i never asked him for his name.

• Nov 22, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Big deal ! I find snakes in my backyard.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Hi Jamie. My friend has been to PV & keeps on raving about the place. Looking at your pages, I guess she's not exaggerating! She's German, I'm German, but she wasn't quite that naked... haha! Superb tips here. Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 7:50 AM

I'm so glad to read that someone really appreciates the wonder Puerto Vallarta is... glad you liked it so much, it's a MARVELOUS place! Cheers!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 9:18 AM

I have read both good and bad things about Puerto Vallarta. Your page is very funny and there are some great pics. One question..did the iguana scratch your sore nipples? LOL.

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Vallarta

Have you been to Puerto Vallarta?

Latest Activity in Puerto Vallarta