"Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Vallarta by jamiesno
Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide: 1,173 reviews and 2,013 photos
I travelded to Puerto Vallarta with wife Holly, her twin sister and her husband Jamie. Yes I know, that is funny! Danette and Jamie already had the all inclusive packaged booked and we just signed up not knowing where we were going to at all!
Well we trekked across Canada and flew south from Edmonton, Alberta and we were happy with the adventure to say the least. It was very relaxing and I think everyone should take the time out to enjoy the sun and beach like this more often!
I tried my best to explore around and experience the culture the best I could but this trip was without a doubt more laid back oriented! Here is some stuff I did discover.
PV is located in the "Bahia de Banderas" meaning Bay of Flags.
Back in the 1500's the Bay was named the "Bahia de Banderas" (Bay of Flags) by a Spanish sea adventurer who's arrival was greeted by thousands of natives waving feathered flags.
The area surrounding the Bay was on time called "Ciutla" (meaning feathers and grassland) by the Indians until about 1850, when Guadalupe Sanchez Torres, a salt-shipper from inland Jalisco, decided to move his family to live here. He named the small fishing village "Las Penas de Santa Maria de Guadalupe" because the day that he arrived (December 12) marked the day of the traditional celebration and procession honoring the Virgin of Guadalupe, which continues to be a tradition today.
By 1900, Las Penas had grown to nearly 2000 residents, and in 1918, it became a municipality and was named "Puerto Vallarta" after Ignacio Vallarta, the former Governor of the State of Jalisco.
So as you can see this was not a planned resort, the city has a lot of history. It wasn't until the 1960s when Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton filmed "The Night of the Iguana" that things changed here in Puerto Vallarta :-)
Visit my Mexico page where I highlighted the people of Mexico who were friendly, kind and give you a much better picture of what life is like in Mexico.
I strongly recommend you take a genuine interest in talking to them and you will tap into a wealth of information!
The sun sets at Puerto Vallarta were amazing every day at about 6:00 pm. You can beleive this was the view from our room!! Right on the beach was amazing, listening to the waves all night.
I have a special travelogue dedicated to the great sun sets! I hope you enjoy!!
Puerto Vallarta offers endless opportunities for excursions, I recommend Los Arcos, Las Animas and Quiximto!
You can check out my extra travelogue of an excursion to Quiximto!
- Pros:The sunset, Flamingo Beach, Los Arcos, the food, people and the peso!
- In a nutshell:Simply the best beach and sunset I have ever seen!
Here in this picture we were at the market area in PV. It was really busy with plenty of great shopping opportunities,... more travel advice
I shouldn't put this poor guy in as a tourist trap but what the hell. On the beach there you see a lot of people selling... more travel advice
- See All Don't be a macho macho man!
- See All Socialize!!
- See All Participate!
- See All Local Artist / Painting
- See All Old Town
jamiesno's Related Pages
Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!"
- "Really Explore Puerto Vallarta"
- "Essential PV"
- "Long time in Returning to Puerto Vallarta!!!"
- "Still the "Real Deal""
- "Bienvenidos a Mexico"
- "Puerto Vallarta: A resort town w/cultural hold"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Vallarta
- Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
- Transportation in Puerto Vallarta
- Nightlife in Puerto Vallarta
- Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
- Shopping in Puerto Vallarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Vallarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Vallarta
- 59 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 50 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Puerto Vallarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Vallarta
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: EuroMeet-2014 in..."
- updated a Puerto Vallarta Travel Page "Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!"
- Commented on one of JBreining's Puerto Vallarta travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tree Climbing :-) about Siteseeing in Puerto Vallarta Favorites
Photos in Puerto VallartaSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues