"Happy Valley - Goose Bay" Goose Bay by jamiesno
Goose Bay Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 118 photos
Welcome to Happy Valley - Goose Bay in central Labrador and my home staging point. I live and work in Happy Valley - Goose Bay.
Happy Valley - Goose Bay is also a great stagging point to explore the rest of the Labrador region.
The name Goose Bay should be simple to figure out but later in the 1940s it became known as Happy Valley - Goose Bay. The evolved as American serviceman who worked here would visit the Valley area and have fun times with the local people, particularly the women and it became known as Happy Valley.
Essentially Happy Valley - Goose Bay exist because in 1941 the Americans built an air base there for transient flights enroute to World War II.
Before that it was simply Robert Michelin's Red Berry Patch. A great place to pick berries. The area was a trapping culture prior to 1941.
When you visit now take the time to visit and explore around the military base a little.
It is a laid back place to live, 3 different aboriginal cultures live in the town along with several international nationalities that train at the air base so this presents different cultural opportunties throughout the year.
- Pros:The people, the culture and hospitality!
- Cons:The cold weather!
- In a nutshell:Great for world class fishing, hunting and the ultimate in adventure travel!
jamiesno's Related Pages
Goose Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Happy Valley - Goose Bay"
- "Emergency Stop in Goose Bay"
- "The Heart of Labrador"
- "Goose Bay is the New York of Labrador"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goose Bay
- Hotels in Goose Bay
- Transportation in Goose Bay
- Nightlife in Goose Bay
- Restaurants in Goose Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goose Bay
- 62 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Goose Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goose Bay
Photos in Goose BaySee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues