"Welcome to the Coast of Bays!" Harbour Breton by jamiesno
Harbour Breton Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 11 photos
Early in 2008 I had an opportunity to visit Conne River for the first time and the coast of bays. I also had the opportunity to briefly explore Harbour Breton and St. Alban's. I was in the area for work meetings and appreciated the opportunity to see this area of Newfoundland for the first time. Conne River is a First Nation reserve and a very impressive community from many perspectives. To get to Conne River I flew to Deer Lake and then drove east just past Bishop Falls before turning south to the bottom of the island. There is a bit of a long stretch without any services but it goes by quickly. It's about 120 km or so.
Harbour Breton is a well known fishing village in Newfoundland that had run on hard luck in 2007 with the closure of their fish plant. Unfortunately for me at the time of my visit there was a strange combination of rain, snow and the thickest of fog. It was hard to see much on the drive to the community. When the fog would clear the landscape was beautiful with dramatic hills and gorges. When you get into the community the landscape is more beautiful again with the hills and shelters bays.
The community itself is a very picturesque setting with typical fishing style houses build along the sides of the hills in a variety of colours. The houses had some of the most challenging driveways I had ever seen. There were lots of fishing wharves and boats still out in January. At the end of the road in teh community there is a nice little lighthouse and a great place to take some pictures.
I'd love to return to Harbour Breton in the summer time. I suspect there would be some great boating opportunities and some amazing hikes that you could do in the area.
Stay tuned... Glen John Arts and Craft Center is named after a band member. Glen John was a self-taught artist whose... more travel advice
jamiesno's Related Pages
Harbour Breton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Harbour Breton
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Harbour Breton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harbour Breton
Photos in Harbour BretonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues