"Island of Newfoundland" Island of Newfoundland by jamiesno

Island of Newfoundland Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 62 photos

Quick Synopsis

The Island of Newfoundland is the smaller geographical region of the Canadian Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The island sits out in the Atlantic Ocean and is Canada's most easterly province.

I went to school in the provincial capital of St. John's and often travel to the island for work and as a result I have seen much of the island in depth!

My theory on this page like other region pages is I will only highlight some of the very best destinations in must see activities, I won't duplicate tips from other community specific pages and I will try to give you a flavor for the island as a whole through community portraits. I hope you enjoy!

Thoughts on the Island

You will see there are really just two urban centers on the island in St. John's and Corner Brook. The remainder of the island is made up of mid-sized towns and smaller coastal villages that scatter the coastline.

The island's history largely revolves around the one time rich fishery. Today there is still a fishery but not on the scale it once was!

Putting the inter-provincial politics aside Newfoundlanders and Labradorians are without a doubt among the most hospitable the world has to offer so I encourage you to make as many connections with the people and their culture and you will never forget your adventure here :-)

• Intro Updated Jan 1, 2005

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2006 at 8:43 PM

Newfoundland is really a very interesting place which I enjoyed visiting! Hope to go back one day for more :)

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2005 at 8:24 AM

Informative page. I may add the island to my list as there is some excellent birdwatching there plus great opportunities for Marine Mammal observation.

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 10:04 PM

What a great page!!! The maps add a great and unique touch to this page!!! I have a friend from a place called Jerry's Nose in Newfoundland and he always tells me that I'm a 'looker' and asks me if I want a 'mug-up.'

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 6:06 AM

Great stuff. I love islands, being an islander myself. You give a really good feel for the place.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 4:51 PM

Very interesting pages. We'll make it to Newfoundland someday. Your local customs tips were especially enjoyable. Stephen

• dvideira's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 8:18 PM

'ere...... I want to get screeched in .. is it possible to bring my own fish to kiss ? LOL if it is.. a I'll be dere da rackley -- if not ...I will just scrawb myself... :-)))

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Island of Newfoundland

Have you been to Island of Newfoundland?

Latest Activity in Island of Newfoundland