"Ottawa, Ontario! The Canadian Capital!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa by jamiesno

Ottawa Travel Guide: 1,815 reviews and 4,497 photos

Quick Synopsis

Welcome to the National Capital of Canada! On a couple of occassions I got to work in Ottawa for extended periods of time and I took full advantage of the time to explore the city of Ottawa as much as I possibly could.

On each occassion I would be staying in a downtown hotel and that would be my base.

I always find it interesting to know how places got their names. In 1855 the people changed the town's name from Bytown to Ottawa. The story goes that the Englishmen could not pronounce the Algonquin Indian word, adawe, meaning, to trade and instead pronounced it as Ottawa.

Thoughts on Ottawa!

Any visit to the National Capital has to include Parliament Hill!! I enjoy politics so if I lived in Ottawa I think I would just sit in the parliament and watch the action from time to time.

There is a endless things to see and do in Ottawa, I recommend it as a destination all in itself! There are plenty of outdoor things such as walking, hiking, skiing. The Rideau Canal makes it a very pleasent city.

The downtown is not exactly Vegas in the night but for that you have to head over to the Byward Market. This is where you'll have a great time in restaurants and pubs. My favorite was the Heart and Crown, a good ol' Irish watering hole!

• Pros:Lot's to see and do outdoors and in!
  • Cons:A little expensive but not really!
  • In a nutshell:A lively city and be sure to spend lots of time outside!
  • Last visit to Ottawa: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2004

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM

No hot air balloon ride for me when I'm in Ottawa - I get dizzy too easily!

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Great page! We are thinking of visiting Ottawa, so thanks for the photos and tips.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2005 at 7:48 AM

Great page & photos of Ottawa ! I may be going there this June for a meeting :)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2005 at 11:57 AM

We had a busker fest in Chicago a few years back but it didn't turn into an annual event. Nice page on Ottawa, a place I've never had a chance to visit :-)

• Jan 30, 2005 at 9:46 AM

Great job! Next time if you have the chance check out the Museum of Space and Tech if you haven't already! It is worth the trip!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2005 at 2:27 PM

I've had that sinking feeling when I have been on an organised tour myself. Hey, and I see you have nicked one of our red London buses - we'll be having that back please ;-)

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2005 at 6:02 AM

Ottawa is definitely under-visited. Its a very charming place. The canals give it an interesting "feel". Mike

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 1:20 PM

Wow, it looks like you saw Ottawa from every angle, from a bus, a boat and a BALLOON! Great tips on a great city!

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 4:18 AM

Great tips!!! Some of the highlights of my trips to the nation's capital were skating the Rideau Canal, going to Parliment Hill and viewing the ice sculptures!!! Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories for me!!

• mcb's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 2:04 AM

Great pics... hot air ballooning just great

jamiesno

“Little by little, one travels far. J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)”

Badges & Stats in Ottawa