"Rigolet, Labrador" Rigolet by jamiesno
Rigolet Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 72 photos
Welcome to my Rigolet, Labrador homepage and tips.
Rigolet is a small village on Labrador north coast at the mouth of Groswater Bay.
Rigolet is a great spot for snowmobiling, fishing, boating and outdoor adventures!
As you explore my Rigolet tips and travelogues you will see plenty of information on the annual Salmon Festival which makes a for a great time to visit Rigolet, Labrador!
Rigolet, with a population of 334, has a long and prosperous history of fur trapping and fishing.
Because of its strategic location on the narrow channel where Lake Melville meets the Labrador Sea, the community was the site of a military installation during World War II, established for the protection of the inland waterway to the Goose Bay Air Base. Except for this brief period life has not changed a great deal in Rigolet.
Minke whales and pods of seals are often seen as ships pass from the sea to the narrow channel. Photo opportunities abound as it is not unusual to see whales feeding right off the dock. Boat tours, village walking tours and a visit to the old Hudson Bay company Net Loft are easily arranged, and artisans there are skilled in the exquisite craft of grass sewing which has been practiced for centuries in Labrador.
The history of European trapping and trading in Labrador dates back to the mid-18th century. However, the HBC post at Rigolet was not opened until 1836 when Simon MacGillivray established it in competition to the Québec trader, D.R. Stewart. Two years later, the HBC established itself in the Hamilton Inlet region. As the fur trade proved insufficient to ensure a profitable enterprise, the HBC decided to supplement revenues with a salmon industry.
jamiesno's Related Pages
Rigolet Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Rigolet
- 18 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Rigolet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rigolet
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues