"Welcome to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador!" Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's by jamiesno
St. John's Travel Guide: 335 reviews and 811 photos
St. John's the city of legends as they say is a fun place to visit, it is scenic, plenty of opportunity for fun times and history.
I visit several times a year for work purposes mainly but I did live in the city to study for 4 years as well.
It is the capital of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, the city got its name from Italian explorer Giovanni Caboto (anglicized to "John Cabot"), sailing under letter patent from the English King and on behalf of several Bristol merchants, arrived in St John's harbour on June 14, 1497, which is the day of the Catholic Saint John. By 1527, early forms fo the name were shown on maps, which by 1689 evolved into its present form. By 1832, St John's became the seat of government for the British Colony of Newfoundland, and was incorporated as a city in 1888.
Ok I have to separate my politic views here on the provincial government's treatment of the Labrador region versus St. John's as a city to visit.
Politicially the provincial government has really treated the Labrador region in a colonist style, underdeveloping it to its potential and leaving many in the Labrador region with a sentiment of separation, feeling Labrador would be better served as a territory like the new Nunavut territory. So that's what I think about that but what about the city of St. John's.
Despite the circus at the city council classifying as local entertainment, St. John's is without a doubt one of Canada's best and most unique cities. The jewel of Atlantic Canada for cities. The real jewels of Atlantic Canada are out in the rural regions.
St. John's has one of the best night lifes you'll find anywhere on the famous George Street! I can say I have become somewhat of an expert on this area of St. John's.
As you explore these tips you will agree that this is a great city to visit, lots of culture, entertainment, hospitality, local customs, traditional food, history and many sights to enjoy!
- Cons:The rain and fog!
- In a nutshell:A fun city!
This Chinched Bistro is an award winning bistro specializing in contemporary cousine. I went there tonight with some... more travel advice
To be fair in this tip I provided a great shot of the St. John's harbour. It can be beautiful as you can see. Also note... more travel advice
- See All Busker Festival
- See All Torbay Motion Trail
- See All Murray Premises
- See All Go to the Park
- See All Pearl Jam at Mile One!
jamiesno's Related Pages
St. John's Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador!"
- "Old St. John's"
- "St John's - Oldest City in North America"
- "I'll Come Where You're At"
- "St.John's, Newfoundland - City of Legends"
- "Colorful St. John's"
- See All...
- Things to Do in St. John's
- Hotels in St. John's
- Transportation in St. John's
- Nightlife in St. John's
- Restaurants in St. John's
- Shopping in St. John's
- Warnings and Dangers in St. John's
- See All...
Badges & Stats in St. John's
- 148 Reviews
- 318 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to St. John's?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in St. John's
Photos in St. John'sSee All Photos (318)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 148 reviews, 319 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 233 photos
- Toronto Intro, 50 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 39 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 79 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 91 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 69 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 49 reviews, 134 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowknife Intro, 68 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Battle Harbour Intro, 65 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues